Would you date a girl with bipolar disorder?

I have bipolar disorder, and ever since I've been diagnosed I've completely avoided dating and guys. I've also distensed myself from a lot of my friends. I feel like I can't get close to people because of my mental disorder. I'm afraid to go out with guys because if I tell them I am bipolar they will leave me for someone more normal. I also don't want someone I love to have to deal with my mood swings and depression. I don't think anybody would want to deal with me and my issues. Would you date a person with bipolar disorder? Why or why not, and be honest

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes I would date someone with your condition. Not to put too find a point on it, but I have dating someone with your disorder, because I told them the same thing I'll tell you; it really isn't a disorder in my philosophy, it is just the way you were designed and if someone can't accept you for who you are, all that you are, flaws and all, then they don't deserve you.

Do you honestly believe your condition wasn't around hundreds of years ago before science and medicine gave it a name? I'm sure in those cases, they still dated, courted, got married, had kids, and went on to have productive, fruitful lives. Just because we give something a name, doesn't mean all of a sudden, it just suddenly appeared in our history. It doesn't mean that you are somehow some adverse part of the human population needing to be isolated and loveless.

Humans fear what they don't understand. Humans destroy what they can't control out of such fear. What you need to realize, if you haven't already, is just because you have mood swings and get moody, doesn't mean you deserve any less than anyone else science or medicine would consider---normal.

Follow your heart. Trust your instincts and don't let your condition hold you back from having friends or being in a relationship. Do what you wish to make you the happiest, but in my record book, as I've said before, we all have flaws, nobody's perfect, and at the end of the day, life is too short to worry about the little things. That's why I would and have dated someone with your condition. And that's my bottom line.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would not to be honest, I know its hard but I feel like every disease on everyone is different, so your episodes would differ from others who have the same but similar.. anyway my boyfriend had an ex with this disease and it literally tore him to shreds, not to mention put him in danger and he rarely was home with her do to this. The difference though is, help- wanting it and not wanting it, you can't help people who don't want to help themselves. So with that said if you're a person whose aware of their disease and you want to control it and get help, then I think you will most likely find someone that would be more than willing to help and support you along the way. If not- it will be unlikely.

What Guys Said 16

• My ex of 10 years was bipolar and didn't take the correct medication or goto any kind of therapy. It was a challenge, having her being super manic when I'm trying to chill or calling me up crying for no reason. It was a lot to handle, but I did the best I could.

That being said you really need to get on some of the correct medications and get correct treatment and it won't be nearly as big of an issue. My ex refused to do anything beside take an antidepressant which helped with anxiety, but it was hard. Someone out there will be patient and understand, do what you can to help yourself and be cognizant that its a problem and you will be doing just fine.

• If I was desperate for love , I would do so. But when I have better options why will I go for such a girl? Of course my opinion is that this girl deserves love. It is difficult but it is not impossible. I would urge her not to lose heart and keep trying. Everyone needs to be loved and cared for no matter what problems they have in life.

• I would have to qualify this in many different ways, but I would say yes to dating.
    I would knowingly date someone who KNOWS they have a bipolar disorder and is receiving treatment for it. I would NOT date someone who denies they have bipolar disorder when they really do and refuse treatment.
    That being said;
    We are talking about dating. We are not talking about long term relationships.
    So would I date a girl who is bipolar but being treated for it? Yes.

Just my opinion

• I would. I'm a creative person and know a lot of creative people. The most amazing among them are bipolar. (That's not why I would; I'm just saying I know some.) One (it's a guy) has seriously fucked up his life more than once by going off lithium just to feel the manic part of the swing and create some amazing art. He was willing to risk the deepest despair just to feel the manic. And he got into all kinds of trouble which began with alienating everyone who loved him and ended with jail. He's better now, but I worry for him every day.

If I got to know a woman that behaved as irresponsibly as he did, it would be difficult. I wouldn't seek her out. But if I was in love, I think I could cope. Luckily, most bipolar people are much better at managing their condition. So… no problem.

• i would seeing how my fmaily is fully og people like that though they refise to see it or try to play it off. but me personally i would because i have had a few girl friends that has had some issue or another and they all worked out good but they just wanted more or something and i am not one for holding a girl back if she wants more than i can offer.

• When a guy finds a girl he likes, stuff like that will not matter to him. Guys that kinda like you and find that out will leave. The ones that really really like you will stay.
    I say go for it in life. I think half of this country is Bipolar and other half has ADD. We all are jacked up in our own ways.

• throw in some borderline personality disorder and you got yourself jodi arias.

That was extremely offensive. I might be bipolar but at least I am not as rude and insensitive as you.

ok I'll stop. hold your head up and love yourself. take care.

Thanks @orphan lol

• I don't see how having a woman with bipolar as the future mother of my children is as a good idea. So, No.

• I would. Aren't all girls? ☹️

• because i have a TON of time and experience with this issue
    i might give it a shot
    but she has to listen to me and follow my orders

• I'd date anyone as long as she's not a slut.

What is your obsession with calling everyone sluts😂It's not a bad thing anyway unless you're cheating

And I didn't say you had to get married. Thad your choice. You're the one shaming me, I'm not saying you have to get married

@Touchmehxx well, women try to shame me into marriage and it didn't work.

• Most women are already slightly bipolar so don't really see it as a problem

• I am a little bit bipolar myself , well yeah o would date a girl who's bipolar

• Never again! lol

• Such as Carrie Mathison?

• Yeah.

What Girls Said 7

• I would not date a person with bipolar. I think people that are bipolar are too much risk than value when it comes to relationships, marriage and kids so if someone I was dating disclosed they were bipolar I would choose not to date them.

What that said, that you say you "don't want someone I love to have to deal with my mood swings and depression" that means to me you are someone capable of rational thought so that is a good thing.

If with medication and with time and if you still do not want someone you love to have to deal with mood swings and depression then I would think you are someone capable of healthy relationship. It may be harder for you but it is possible so I think there is a hope.

But yeah, hearing you have bipolar will probably hinder you in dating. However, it should not affect you in friendships unless being bipolar is affecting your friendships.

Maybe what you should focus on is keeping friendships. If you can keep friendships and be bipolar than I would think you would be able to keep a relationship and be bipolar too? Just a thought...

• Ugh, I feel your pain. I have bi-polar disorder. I can say this much, it's made getting close to someone and trusting people a lot harder, but I haven't noticed a huge impact on my dating life. Guys will be interested regardless. And I usually tell them like a month or two into us dating because I want them to get to know me first before pre-judging based on my illness.

So you shouldn't worry too much about it.

• I was about to write a big ass paragraph about your question, but to be honest I rather write this, let's say one day you're sucidal, there's this guy who helps you get through this and calms you, but think about this, he shouldn't be the one that makes you feel calm and safe, you should complete yourself and get through your stuff, if you want a boyfriend, get a boyfriend, but don't depend of him, tell him " I have this condition that makes me do this and that, are you ok with that? No? Ok fuck off" some will say no, some will be like " oh really? Yeah I'm fine with that" just prepare yourself for whatever that comes

• yes because you never know what you are going to get,
    It's like you are spinning one of those big wheels; happy, horny, bitch, Nagy, (oh god damn-it) bitchy, happy, death glare, kisses, cuddles, sad, crying, hugs, happy, horny.

I think guys would love you

• No because I'm not a lesbian

• I would not date a man who is bipolar. I know that this may sound insensitive, but I've just been around mental illness and know how toxic it is. It is hard enough to build and maintain a healthy relationship with two people who are mentally stable.

• Yup. The crazy ones are my favvvv 😍