Is this considered cheating?

I've been dating a guy for about 4 months. we haven't called each girlfriend/boyfriend yet but we are both committed to dating each other exclusively.
recently my ex has asked me out to catch up over dinner. i'm not sure what his intention is. if i see my ex for dinner, would this be considered cheating with the guy I'm seeing?

Most Helpful Guy

• If you are going only for dinner with your ex, then it's not cheating. However since he is your ex it is certainly not recommended that you go to dinner with your ex. Whatever your ex's intentions may be you should refuse him politely.

If you go to the dinner with your ex it will not be considered as cheating but it would be very disrespectful to the guy you are dating with and it would be even more disrespectful if you go to dinner with your ex without telling the guy you are dating with.

Why? that's because it can easily lead to the guy thinking that you still miss your ex or something maybe going on between you and your ex and that can create misunderstandings between you and the guy you are dating with.

Since you are dating the other guy you should cut off all contact with your ex, you shouldn't even entertain any thoughts of catching up with your ex, be it through any means.

That's all I can say.

Most Helpful Girl

• I can't imagine your boyfriend feeling comfortable about it. It's humiliating and disrespectful towards him

People who go to dinner with an ex have ulterior motives, especially if they have an SO.

I'd never put my SO in that position. I'd have absolutely no reason to go to dinner with an ex. I'd never let an ex think I'd jeopardise a present relationship over him.

Ask your boyfriend how he feels about it. His feelings should be priority in this situation

My loyalties would be for my SO

the thing is he is not my boyfriend, we're only dating for a few months and he hasn't asked me to be his girlfriend

You stated you are" committed to dating each other exclusively ", so it seems like it's serious between you both.. not just casual dating. You've been together for 4 months. So you owe him loyalty. It's still a relationship you have with him.

I can't understand why anyone would want to meet up with an ex when they are committed to someone else. It's still disloyal to the guy your currently with

You're **

What Guys Said 14

• I'm not a jealous person one single bit, so I wouldn't care especially if there was no label on it. However if I'm dating someone for 4 months and not calling them a girlfriend I'm probably talking to other girls. You don't say we aren't going to date other people and at the same time not call it a relationship.

he hasn't popped the question, but we do all the couple things and i know he's not talking or seeing anyone else i was thinking maybe he just assumed we are in a relationship. should i ask him?

Well you know what they say about assuming lol. Yeah there should be no problem having a low pressure conversation about the state of your relationship. Most guys are going to run through every bad possibility if you say you're going out to dinner with your ex and will probably not be terribly stoked about it. I know I wouldn't go out to dinner with my ex. While we are civil there's no reason for us to go hang out either.

• No sex=no cheating

• Yes. While there is no label, you did commit to dating one another exclusively. Now, if you're comfortable with the notion of the guy you're dating to go see his ex, in the same way you do, then go ahead. Just know that there's a a 90% chance your EX and you will sleep with one another when you go out for "dinner".

• No as long as your not sleeping with him

• I wouldn't consider that Cheating but I would consider that very disrespectful...

That guy is your ex for a reason... Why not just put him in past if you are really that committed to your new date?

And by the way I don't think you are really committed to him as you are even entertaining the idea of having dinner with your ex

• No if you guys are not putting any labels on it there should be no hard feelings but you shouldn't catch any feels for your ex.. Keep it dinner

• I think yes because you are already commited to dating exlusively which is tantamount to being boyfriend and girlfriend without the label.

• If you want to be technical no because you haven't called each other bf/GF. Now if you're asking if it's a nice thing to do... then probably not since you're thinking about it.

• yes it would be cheating

• Yes if you didn't tell the current guy.

• Not if you don't sleep with or flirt or kiss him

• I would say yes. Pick 1 guy and commit to him. You can't have the best of both worlds

• I would consider it cheating if someone spends time with an ex.

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 4

• I think the easiest way to put it is would you be alright if he was to see his ex over dinner?

• If you have to ask then, it just might be, especially since you state there is a mutual commitment to exclusive dating. If you had not made that statement, it would be less questionable. (At least to me.)

• That doesn't seem like a good idea, but it also doesn't seem very good that you are even entertaining the idea of going to dinner with your ex while having a boyfriend i think you should reevaluate how you feel about said boyfriend

• No, it's not cheating. I do feel you should be open and let the person you're dating know :) Trust builds a very strong relationship. It'll show that you respect him as well. . And trust in both ways. He can trust you having a decent dinner with your ex and you can trust him being able to be open and honest.