Are racial preferences racist?

Are racial preferences racist or not? Why/why not?

Racial preference are when you thinks some "races" are more sexual attractive than others and you prefer to date some more than others.

• Yes
  • No
  • Depends

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think so.
    It is something like being attracted only to the guys with green, blue or brown eyes.
    We are all different individuals with different preferences.
    How do you think, are they racist?

Racial preferences aren't racist in my opinion. Everybody have preferences and we can't control them. We are just attracted to certain features and there are features which people just doesn't find attractive.

Where are Georgia? Sorry, I'm not good in geography.

Lol It is okay. It is a small country in Eastern Europe, right below Russia.

Most Helpful Guy

• No. Your preferences are your preferences, don't let anyone tell you to/make you date whoever you don't want to date. That shit is wrong, and it makes people feel like shit.
    Additionally, the other person is not going to be treated as well as they deserve to be if they don't fall into the racial preferences, because the other person won't truly be interested in them. So it's bad for both parties.
    Finally, you wouldn't call a straight or gay person a sexist. It's just pure stupidity.

What Girls Said 10

• I don't believe being attracted to certain races is inherently racist, no, you can just enjoy a difference of aesthetic without it being ill intended.

It CAN be racist, for example, to say you only date a certain race because all other races are inferior for actual cultural reasons, yes. But just having a preference is purely physical, it's no different than preferring skinny girls over fat girls, or tall guys over short guys.

I've always been most attracted to white guys and Asian guys predominantly, the ladder because, for what ever reason, I like dark hair, dark eyes and medium to light skintones. But I've also been attracted to black men before as well.

• Nope.

• No it's not...

• If you prefer to date a certain race just because you think they are usually more attractive then that's not racist.

• No it's not. I would just prefer someone keep it to themselves. A guy I liked once told me he didn't couldn't imagine dating me because I was too dark. I couldn't be mad because it was what he liked but it did make me sad. My self esteem has never been the same.

It's silly of people to tell the exactly reason why they won't date you, but saying "I'm not going to date you, because you aren't my type" if you ask them out is alright to say in my opinion. People can also say they aren't interesting in dating if they aren't interested.

That's hurt 😒

Well I personally think your skintone is a beautiful colour.

• Nope. anyone who says it is, is just butthurt coz someone said they dont find their race attractive

• No, a lot are just subconscious preferences. Take the implicit association test for skintone, it tells me I have a moderate preference for darker skin which is true.
    https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1

• I'll date anyone but I noticed I have a type: native or white guys aha and each person I was interested in showed familiar traits. But I'm light skin and I don't think a lot of guys like that... Especially white :(

My preferences are European looking ( Includes: South/North, East/West) , Middle-Eastern (Arabs, Persians etc.) and Asian. Latino and European are equal when it comes to my preferences. But I'm not into people with South-African or West-African appearance.

• Not racist at all it's just preference.

• Nope

What Guys Said 21

• The bigger question is, does it matter? You can not force anyone to date anyone else, no matter how hard you try. If I say I don't care for black women, no amount of shaming and name calling is going to make me hard for a black woman. Not only that, there is no moral reason to attempt to force me to do so. Black women will get along just fine if I choose not to date them. I doubt a single black woman would even notice. So stop worrying about whether or not it is or isn't racist when the answer is irrelevant. If people don't want to date a certain race, that's their business. Not yours.

• It depends.

People are grouped in certain "races" together because of perceived similarities in their physical appearances, so an individual person preferring a certain race doesn't necessarily mean anything racist by itself: they might just like that kind of look.

However, if you look at the bigger picture --- as sociologists and anthropologists have done in their work --- there ARE patterns in terms of what people tend to find attractive, that is influenced by racist power structures that feed them the idea of certain races being more desirable. It's not just a random assortment of everyone having "unique individual tastes", as people would like to believe. Rather, it's a mix of individual tastes and experiences, combined with societal influence and even indoctrination.

It's also worthy to note that these patterns change across time and space, depending on which groups have power and influence. During the heyday of the Roman Empire, Western and Northern European "barbarians" were considered unattractive by the Romans. But after Northern and Western Europe's legacy of imperialism and colonialism across the past few hundred years, people of their descent are commonly considered the most "attractive" people. One day in the future, it may be yet another group who is in power -- and therefore beauty.

• No, I don't see why not. Interestingly enough, although it's been getting more apparent. As the left have gotten crazier, be it arguing over transgender pronouns, feminism, BLM, or being triggered. They've even made an attempt at targeting protected groups.

Milo is an example of a unfitting protected individual, he is a gay catholic journalist that doesn't fit the category of the left. It confuses them and they have no idea what to say. He has started to be targeted as a gay man over his grinder profile online because he stated a racial preference.

The people calling preferences racist are just an example of the regressive left

• Yes and no. Like most things in life, it's a shade of grey. I can understand the racist argument in the sense that if you don't find anyone of a certain racial background attractive it means you find them aesthetically inferior to your own and others. If you find people to be inferior as a whole it implies discrimination and racism. It also presupposes the fact that you know everyone in the world of a certain background and what they look like. People also don't like to concede that we are raised in a certain environment that glorifies eurocentric beauty standards over others. I personally know this because there was a time I was only attracted to white women and some others who could pass as sort of white. I'd like them if they looked white enough like some latinas. Lack of exposure and growing up without diversity in society that glorifies whiteness will do that to you. It's something that we can all work at and change if we want to though.

Now from the other side. The preference argument. I love classic rock music. Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kansas, Nirvana, etc. I tend to avoid country music. I don't think country music sucks or anything but I just prefer the sounds of rock. BUT like I said in the last paragraph if I exposed myself to more country I would probably grow to like it and understand the messages in it more. Hell, it could even become my favorite genre of music.

I guess the moral of my story is that some people are comfortable in their little bubbles where they're confident in their likes and dislikes. People like to feel safe in their convictions and beliefs and they don't like them challenged. I promise that the road less traveled can be incredibly rewarding by challenging our convictions and beliefs. You just gotta leave your heart open to it. Always be skeptical of the reasons why behind a lot of your actions. You will be surprised by what you find.

• I don't think so.

• Racial preferences are not preferences, I mean they are obviously but they are treated differently. Just like racial discrimination is different from simple discrimination

If racial preferences we preferencss than what stops a person to argue that it's their preference to sit beside a white person vs a black person on the train

So you are saying that somebody should be shamed into dating someone they don't want to?

But a white that doesn't want to date outside their race... is a racist. Ok gotcha

@Rissyanne well im not sure. Im just making sense of a grey zone

But at the end of day racial Preferences seem to be socially accepted so I guess in that sense its ok. If no one cares then no on cares lol right

• No as long as you don't think everyone of that group is not good looking or consider certain people superior.

• It isn't racist to have physical preferences.

• if it's only about looks... no

This is only about the physical appearance, not anything else.

we all have our preferences when it comes to hair colour, body type and other things. skin colour is just another one of them.

• nope

• No, its just that you like the look of something.
    Its like prefering a Ferrari to a jaguar

• Of course not

• It's based on appearance, like any other trait. No, it's not racist.

• C. Depends entirely on your definition of "racist" because it wasn't a consideration when the term was first coined. A better question would be "is it bad to have racial preferences?"

• no they are not.

• Depends. If you only date one race because you think the pigment of their skin makes them superior in any way other than in the looks department, then it's racist. Because looks are the only thing skin pigment effects.

• It's females. Trying to try to.

• Yes.

Here is a preference:

"I am a black man, and I prefer to date black women. HOWEVER, I am open to dating anyone of any race."

Why is that a preference? Because I stated that I am open to dating women of any race, although I prefer black women.

Here is what other people with "preferences" say:
    1. "I only date white guys."
    2. "I don't date black guys."

Those are not preferences... because you are stating what races you like and dislike. You are excluding a race, for example, because of their skin color. That is not a preference and that is borderline racism.

Some people simply are sexually attracted to either white or black skin color, and then other colors (skin tones) in between. Each race have also very distinct facial features that some people are attracted/not attracted to.

It isn't racist to have any preference, but often is better to keep quiet because it's understandable some people take it to heart.

Why should they be forced to include a race of skin. If they're not into them, for any reason, they're not going to be into them. If they say they only date white guys, it's probably because if they tried to date a black guy, they wouldn't find him attractive wouldn't be into him. And that kind of relationship just hurts both parties.

• No I don't see black facial features attractive only whites and latinas... but I'm not racist...

• depends if you have someone who says "those people aren't my type" and after you keep pressing and say "oh because they aren't a certain color or religion" then it is.

• No. Nobody's going to force me to find everyone sexy.