Should I date my best friend?

I have a friend that has always been supportive of me almost no matter what. I have been with several guys in the past year and all they end up doing is breaking up with me. When this happens, I can always run to him and he doesn't judge me. Plus, I'm happy when I'm around him and there is always something fun and adventurous to do with him. Also, friends joke about how we are not a couple considering he is probably my closest and best friend. The only thing is I'm Asian and he is white and I have never dated a white guy, so I don't know what to expect. I know that he does have a strong liking for Asian women, so that is a barrier I'm not concerned about for him. Is thus a good idea though to give it a shot?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• So you want to finally move a guy friend of yours out of the friend zone... Hell must have frozen over !! lol. All joking aside

There are several things you need to think about, First, are you attracted to him? If yes then things are ok so far. Are you prepared to lose your best friend if things go badly? Thats the kicker. It would kill me. That is why i usually dont date girls i am friends with. If we broke up it would be like i lost my friend and my girlfriend. Double Whammy... That would just suck.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well I think so because
    1. Dates and everything is still as fun, just more I guess. Because when he surprises you he knows what you like so yeah..
    2. If breaking up is the case... It would be a lot easier but... it could ruin your friendship but your friendship should still be the same since your best friends
    3. You guys are friends right? Your family should have at least heard about them once! Your family is more likely to accept them ;)
    4. One of the reasons your best friends is because you treat each other well and go together well. Dates will be amazing because your the perfect match
    5. He makes you feel great about yourself, I mean that's why you hang out with him right. You can act like yourself around him without worrying.
    6. Your fights aren't going to be a big deal because you probably got into an argument once but your still best friends.
    7. They probably seen you at your worst and best and they are still your best friend
    8. He probably experienced your PMSING and is still your friend.

I hope I was really helpful.

xo love Cookie (Dating bestfriend since 2014)

What Guys Said 26

• We should always be willing to try new things, even if it may be uncomfortable or painful, because we never know what can come out of us trying something new, or if we’ll like something or not if we never take risk. Life is way too short in my view to not take advantage of the opportunities presented to us along the journey. It could be that you’re best friend will turn out to be the very one you’ve been searching for all this time who is your soul-mate and if you pass this up you’ll miss this one chance to find happiness with the perfect companion to yourself and not only would you gain a best friend, but someone to share your life forever. That’s the bottom line.

• You never lose anything if you try and it gives nothing. It just gives nothing. Considering the value of the investment in your case, you should definitely try. At the worst he'll be your best friend anyway. Just make it clear for him you'll always be friends and you're not his friend just because you expected something more romantic. You didn't, it just developed, and if he doesn't want, you don't mind and don't judge. Just make it clear for him you're real, and his friend no matter what (this way you don't jeopardize your friendship).

• First of all... race has nothing to do with anything. He's still a human and so are you. Secondly... what is it with girls in finding it so hard to date friends? That's why you always get your hearts broken. You want to date guys whom you barely know because they are "mysterious" and "mysterious is sexy." Then you friendzone guys who have always been there for you. This is why so many relationships are unsuccessful. So to answer your question, YES you should date him. This shouldn't even be a question... like... at all. Guy who is supportive of you, always there for you, no matter what... why NOT date him?

• If you feel a genuine attraction to him, then I think it would be a great idea for you to ask him out.

• Why not give it a shot? If you get along, give it a go and see how it goes. But keep in mind, if it doesn't work, your relationship probably will never be the same. You can't unring the bell. So consider your options carefully first.

• Very dangerous bud. For all I know, you two could be perfect for eachother, but I lost 2 best friends this way lmao. If things don't work out, who will you look to for support in this case? seriously be careful man )-:

• Most important question is this is he a friend first or an attraction? - Whichever is the strongest wins.

• I don't get this question at all. Why would you want to date somebody who WASN'T your best friend? That sounds like literally the most ideal set-up possible. Why would you let such an opportunity slip? What other guy is gonna be a better best friend than your best friend? Who do you want to spend time with more than your best friend? Who do you trust more than your best friend?

• Isn't that what one looks for in a romantic relationship? A lover, best friend and soulmate? Sounds to me you've got a great opportunity to achieve what most dream of.

Go for it!

• a wise woman once told me: :

when a girl and a guy get together they become best friends, so why can't you be best friends first?"

make it happen!

• Anything that's going to destroy a relationship is going to destroy a friendship, so nothing detrimental will happen between you two that wasn't already inevitable.

Which means the worst thing that could happen is you date, you decide it's not working out, and you remain friends.

• I feel like if you want to date someone, then that friendship is over and dating is your only option

• Go for it and jump his bones. Worst that can happen is somehow you end up hating each other and end up with no best friend to run to.

• You should definitely give a shot... But are you sexually attracted to him?

• All successful relationships are between 2 people who ARE best friends!

• Yes, The compatibility is already there. Why not? You know each other and will have a good time. You don't know unless you try. Try it before you buy it. It if doesn't work just be forward and honest and you two will remain friends.

• Are you actually sexually attracted to him? If not, he's a friend and a sexual relationship will not work.

• Just give it a try.

• Don't do it

• Not a good idea

• Are you attracted to him though? I have a feeling if you actually found him physically attractive you would have dated him by now.

• we white guys are also from human race lol

• Go for it. It worths a try.

• if you can't look past race..

• Do you find him physically attractive? Is the idea of making out with him appealing?

That's my issue. None of those things excite me

Yeah physically it's a no but personality yes

@SmandyCandy A no is a no.

Like there are girls who I see and it's like. wow, damn. Is thst needed? TBH, maybe not. Some girls, it's like, uh, she's okay. But if I thought about, well, if she was naked, grinding on me, how would I feel? And if i'd feel like... YES, then maybe it can work, and if i'd still be kind of... I don't know... then that's not gonna work.

They don't need to take my breath away, but the idea of getting down needs to be appealing!

• Maybe you should, it looks he really cares about you.

What Girls Said 3

• If the feeling is mutual then go for it. Friendship is the best foundation for a strong relationship

• Do you like each other as more than friends?

• Well, they always say best friends make good boyfriends/girlfriends.