Do most relationships start out as friends with benefits these days?

It seems like the majority of my friends and their significant others all started as friends with benefits that eventually turned into something more. Is this common?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's actually incredibly common. I know on Gag everyone are virgins and traditionalists ( not that there is anything wrong with that but it skews the kinda replies you get) but in the real world, no one really adheres to dating rules and etiquette, they act on instinct, take risks, do what feels right. So plenty of people sleep with a person before coming to the decision to date exclusively.

Some end well, others don't but that is true of relationships regardless of how they begin. I can personally attest to countless stories of friends who have hook ups that became relationships, engagements, and marriages. That said there are still some people who develop relationships in a more traditional manner and find love that way. But come on there are more "rule" breakers than there are "rule" followers out there. So the former is more common than the latter.

Each path has its pros and cons. Depending on your personality and values one approach may be better suited for you. The choice is yours. I'm not not going try to convince you to go one way or the other. Just thought your question deserved an honest answer.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, somewhat.

Strangers - acquaintances - friends - fwb/casual - relationship.

It's a goddamn long road!

What Guys Said 8

• I don't think so. At least I hope my relationship doesn't start that way.

• I hope not because I won't even have sex with someone without being emotionally attached first.
    Maybe those people value sex more than they value other parts of the relationship.

• Not at all. In fact, those arrangements are the ones that end sooner and in heart break.

• Ya, i dont think 2 people can have sex an one if not boh catch feelings, its just to hard not to fuck up

• Let's be friends with benefits..
    Then first. 😜

• Bitch you guessed it

• In some circles its the norm, in others, not at all.

• yes. love is dead now for the most part. everyone is in it just for good times and to fuck.

What Girls Said 7

• For me, no. I'm too scared to have any one-night-stands, and I don't know to meet someone to be friends-with-benefits. I also think the idea is silly.

I found someone online, and we talked for months and loved eachother deeply before even meeting. Now we've met and 9 months later, I feel happier then can be.

• they won't be togother for long. a relationship is built on trust and emotion. not just fucking like rabbits.

• No. I don't think so, at least. To me it always seems like friends with benefits situations end up with a shit ton of drama, because one person ends up having feelings for the other, who's not interested.

• No. Not here at least

• No. My relationships never started as such.

• No, just friends

• I've never seen any meaningful relationships like that. The ones I know of always either end badly, have constant drama, cheat, have a superficial relationship and sometimes even have all of those combined in one crappy relationship.
    There's just less substance.

I have heard of others that ended up in good relationships that actually lasted. But I've never seen one.