What are reasons people are "afraid" of love?

I was told that the guy I like and I are both "afraid" of love. What does it mean, and what are reasons people are "afraid" of it?

2mo bump

Most Helpful Guy

• Well that boils down to each and every other person. Some people are afraid because of previous commitments not working out and are afraid of letting down their guard again. Other people could be afraid because they have never done before and its something completely foreign and it could scare people.

There's loads of reasons, I know way too much about love because I spent most of my life searching for it, finding it, losing it; Over and over and over again. I came to a point in my life were love isn't for me, I can still love my friends and family but not the romantic comedy type.

Most Helpful Girl

• It means to be scared of taking a risk at love.

Reasons:
    1. Real love makes us feel vulnerable.
    2. New love stirs up past hurts.
    3. Love challenges an old identity.
    4. With real joy comes real pain.
    5. Love is often unequal.
    6. Relationships can break your connection to your family.
    7. Love stirs up existential fears

What Guys Said 11

• It would mean you're afraid to open your heart, believing you'll get hurt, I guess. Maybe some painful experiences can be the reason. Oh and that doesn't mean you are afraid in this sense. That's what some believe.

• My biggest fear is falling in love with someone who doesn't love me back. It is so heartbreaking.
    Aside from that though, I am not afraid of love at all, in fact I am really looking forward to it.

• with the way girls treat guys like crap and make everything more impossible, because girls dont have the ability to desire and love. who wouldn't be afraid?

• Afraid of it being unrequited or the pain which is associated with it. Some people cannot handle it and they get too dependant on the person they love and that is what they hate

• its a very overwhelming feeling.

• they have been hurt before and a bit wary of anybody new. its not to say they dont want you in their life. its that they dont want to be rushed into love.

• People aren't afraid of love, they're already of getting their heart broken.

• Just know that love is like a tower, you'll either keep climbing it or you will fall hard

• Guys: "Girls are so abusive these days"
    Girls: "I want to be a slut"

• Because love doesn't exist. It was all just invented by Hallmark to sell Valentines Day cards.

• because when you love someone you have no control. You take the biggest chance of all by giving your heart to someone and hope &I trust that they don't crush it.

The greatest feeling in the world is just a few steps away from the absolute worst feeling ever. Abandonment and emotional pain.

What Girls Said 13

• At some point in my life, months ago. I was afraid of love. But I dont think its love what we are afraid of, I think its fear of getting hurt again. Its basically means that you are afraid of loving someone or being loved... reasons? Coz you would be afraid of falling for someone again.. and then end up brokenhearted for whatever reason. So you would basically try to avoid loving anyone or u wouldn't want to fall for anyone just to not end up getting heartbroken again. Thats my personal experience, its differs from a person to another

• When you fall in love, you're handing them your heart. You're trusting them to take care of it. Your heart is now in their hands. It's scary because they can do what they want with it. If they cheat on you, they'll throw your heart on the ground and step all over it. If they continuously lie to you, they'll throw it to the wolves. If they break up with you, they'll crush your heart. It's scary because being in love is giving your heart to that person and trusting them not to hurt it.

• Getting hurt. Sometimes even desiring someone so much is overbearing. At the end it's that person that makes you feel comfortable that ends up with you. Not the one you are passionate about. So backwards and twisted.

• Fear of losing control.

• Most people are afraid of getting hurt and the heartache

• Love is an emotion that is hard to control. It usually ends up controlling you.

• I'm a very mistrusting person due to a past, so that makes it hard for me to love people. I'm "afraid" of love because it's hard for me to love.

• The fear comes from them not feeling the same or falling "out of love"... which I know hurts so badly

• not sure, possibly you told him, that you and him both had some sad history in the past?

• Afraid of getting hurt

• Most people are NOT afraid of love, they are afraid of not being loved back

• Usually it's one of two fears:
    being hurt
    being trapped

• Giving it your all and telling them how much they mean to you and then having them walk out on you.