Can a long distance relationship work?

So my friend is dating this guy who recently moved two hours away for a job. Neither of them has plans to move to where the other lives. Now they do make an effort to talk to each other everyday and they visit each other when they can. However, how long can this go on if they are both fairly settled into their lives?

Most Helpful Guy

• It can work if they make plans of when and how they would eventually be living together. If they are making stronger ties to places away from each other, then it likely won't work.
    They need a plan of how they could be together in the long term, and put in effort to achieve that goal. In the mean time, they could enjoy movies together by Skyping and starting the movie at the same time. They could both read the same book to talk about it. And they could play online games together. They could do all of that regularly if they truly wanted it to work out and last.

Most Helpful Girl

• it definitely can work at least with me... i've dated 3 guys for a few months online and i didn't ever even meet them.

What Guys Said 3

• It can be for a very long time or until someone drops the ball. It just depends on either of them and how bad they want their relationship to last. Anything is possible if they want each other that bad.

• I've never heard of one working for any length of time, but that's JMO.

Two hours isn't a big deal if they talk during the week and see each other on the weekend. I don't consider that to really be a LDR

• it can but its hard.. i know from experience

What Girls Said 1

• I think it is not common :( but it can and has before :)