Am I not conventionally pretty enough for straight hair?

I'm a dark skin black woman who receives disapproval from others for straightening my hair--dirty looks, eye rolling, teeth smacking, avoidance, intolerance however other black women sometimes report they get compliments when they wear their hair straight. Is it because my features are too west African and complexion too dark for the straight look. People only accept me with braids

Most Helpful Guy

• When people do things that there not use to seeing. The person who's doing something they like typically root out the true personality in people. This you know who's negative and all that jazz. I'd say fuck'em and wear your hair straight. What the hell can they do. Simple minded people hate what they can't control.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's because most black women who do so do it because they hate themselves. Plus straightening their hair tends to mean putting dangerous chemicals on their scalp hoping to "permanently" change the texture, where as other women simply use a flat iron and go back to being normal after a week or so.

There is something called 'heat training' which trains the hair to be straight without the use of a relaxer. I use ceramic flat irons (no relaxer) to straighten. However to the naked eye no one can determine whether I am relaxed or simply using a flat iron. That's why it's important not to judge black women hair practices because you cannot look at them and know what method they use to straighten their hair. The end result is the same

I am still Black whether my hair is straightened or in an Afro. My DNA doesn't change. I have the freedom to style my hair however I chose without being accused of being less Black. I am not my hair

Okay you're not going to sway me and neither will I you, so lets just end the discussion here.

What Guys Said 3

• I love straight hair on African women in general. It's just gorgeous.

You are the first to say this, most men spend time trashing black women with straight hair

Well, I don't know why other guys are like that. I personally hate frizzy and done up hair, though a ponytail is fine to me too. I guess they are just too dumb to see how beautiful it really is.

This is a breath of fresh air

• Brown is bea

• It's literally impossible to say anything about your looks without seeing what you look like.

What Girls Said 0