Did my girlfriend hint that she wants me to propose?

We have been together since sophomore year of HS and now we're seniors in uni. So we're going on 6 years. We had a group of friends go out after class tonight for dinner at the campus bar. Long story short my girlfriend and her friend jokes about who's going to have kids first and her friend commented" well you to are practically married already so you got a head start." My girlfriend responded by jokingly punching my arm and saying " someone has to propose to me first then it's an option." Marriage doesn't sound bad but I'm in my early 20s and it's sounds weird to be engaged so young.

Most Helpful Girl

• Its not weird at all, its the best time for marriage because your young and you get to experience the joys of marriage life as a young couple. Most people can't experience marriage the way they wanted to in their 30's or 40's. But she did hinted that she does. If not her, its definitely her body signaling that to you through body language. 6 years is more than enough time since you've been a high school couple to figure out if you want to marry her or not. Do you not see yourself as her husband? I say you two need to speak on this now. Don't wait, speak up.

I do want to marry her but I mean when I imagine a wedding it's all of our college Friends working 6 or 7 years or finishing grad school and not fresh out of college. Some of our close friends are not even 21 yet and are going to be in college for grad school.

@Asker By that time both of you may not be together for that long. Most women who want to be married ends up getting impatient and start to feel like your leading them on for years. Some want to marry early.

If you cannot see yourself marrying soon then you better tell her now. The whole purpose in dating is ti find a marriage partner. It would not be fair to her if she wants to marry young. Then she will have to find somwbody who wants what she wants. This is why you have to discuss this with her.

What Girls Said 10

• Don't let the lives of people around you affect yours.

Marriage comes with a lot of responsibilities and, unless you're confident and sure that you have reached a stable point in life then don't even think about marriage. If she loves you then she should respect your feelings and decisions towards it too.

6 years is quite a long time. Perhaps the lovey dovey activities you did when you first started dating haven't been happening as often as they used to so she's starting to feel insecure. Assure her that the love you have for her remains, if not, growing even larger and if she really wants physical evidence then engaging in your early 20's isn't weird at all if marriage doesn't sound weird to you then. A greater emotional toll is created with a divorce than breaking off an engagement.

Call me groomzilla but I imagine a wedding being 27-28 with all your friends catching up and
      It being a reunion type feel. Marriage before we have a career position, and are settled somewhere sounds way to scary. I won't be in a stable position financially until I work a few years and pay off this debt.

Well yeah I mean there's not many spontaneous moments happening anymore and we're more comfortable around each other but we still keep time for each other everyday in out busy scedules and we do live together so it's not a "dry relationship"

• it seems like she wants it but if you don't you should openly talk to her about it and say you are not ready but maybe when you guys finish college or when do you think you will be ready?

I'm very uptight with money and I want to pay off my some debt, get a professional position, have some spending money to put down for a wedding, and make it something special not a legal binding where we sign paper and have a cheap ceremony and reception. So when I am in that situation I will feel more comfortable.

well that is what you have to tell her
      you don't want to make her think you don't want it at all while she hopes you will propose
      you gotta spair her all the hoping and disappointing stating from the start how you feel

• I don't think she was "asking" per say... But it is something that she sees with you yes.

• WAIT until you are finished college omg!

• She sees it as an option

• I don't get this. You're together for 6 years but you can't have this conversation with her?

I feel like it's weird to bring up on both sides cause if I ask if her its like I'm making sure I know if she'll respond with a yes if I do propose and her asking me about it eans it's her I itiating it and pressuring me.

• she probably does want you to propose, it sounds pretty obvious.

Well why not bring it up to me directly then by simply saying she wants marriage.

because she doesn't know how you'll feel about it, im sure she wants it but like you is probably thinking ur both in ur early 20's and really young

besides, she probably thinks that its rude if she just says that she wants marriage. at least that's what i would think.

• I think she does want you to propose.

• Yes I guess she does. It's time you talk to her politely.

• basically yes she did hint that but i wouldn't take it to seriously unless she keeps hinting it

What Guys Said 0