Do age gaps ruin people's chances of getting together?

First, does this guy sound attracted to me? The first time I saw him, (we were in a meeting room) he smiled at me. But he was probably just being polite. While still in the meeting room, I whispered to my friend that he was cute, then he looked at me through the corner of his eyes. I don't know if he heard me. A while later, (about two months later) I saw him again, but in the parking lot. I was walking to my car and I saw him staring at me, then he looked away quickly, then looked back at me and away again. I saw him again a while later, and he walked right by me and didn't even acknowledge me (or stare). However, my friend saw him at the local market and she asked him if he knew me, and he said, "yeah, she's nice." But I never told him my name. I've never even spoken to him before. I'm at least 10 years younger than him, so is that why he's not making a "move" or talking to me?

Most Helpful Guy

• My age is wrong on here and I'm 35, but regardless the girl I'm dating right now is 24 and I see no problem with that, I always date younger women.

That being said, who the hell knows, the guy might have a "policy" of not dating people at work, or he's too damn awkward, maybe he's married lol. You should do a little recon and figure out what his situation is.

What Guys Said 7

• There are 759 reasons he might be making a move on you. He has a girlfriend. He's married and never wears his ring. He just got out of a relationship. He's gay. He is awkward around women. The why isn't important to you is it? You just want him to make a move. So make him. Bump into him at the office. Say hi first. Talk to him and let him know with your body language that you like him. The average age difference for married couples in the USA is... 10 years! Most women want a more stable man and older men tend to have more stuff figured out. Just have fun with this whole situation. Instead of thinking of it as some feelings espionage, think of it as a game. I bet I can get him to talk to me today. I bet I can get him to ask for my number today. Just enjoy the process of trying to meet someone new and if it works out that's awesome. If not then you move on the next guy you like

• My guess would be he's with someone else or is interested in someone else, or, perhaps, he doesn't think you'd be interested in him. Age is funny that way. My girlfriend is a *lot* younger than I am. If we hadn't met online, I don't know I could have talked to her if we'd met otherwise. But I'm glad we did.

• It depends. There are various factors, including how large the gap is, at what stage of life is the gap occurring (for example a ten year gap is insignificant with a couple in their thirties and forties respectively, but that same age gap could be monumental if it's a teenager and twenty something), and the maturity of the younger party also. I have always dated younger women who were eight to ten years younger, but I have a lot of energy and playfulness, but there was a time I fell hard for a girl who was much, much younger and although I know she liked me back a lot, the age difference was insurmountable for us.

In your case im not sure the age difference has anything to do with it. Most guys don't care about it as long as it's not really weird, and ten years isn't too weird.

• Topic answer = depends on what stage at life they're in.

Like @welloffselloff said, could be many different reasons.

Yes he seems "interested" in you.

• Age gaps shouldn't matter.

• Age gap smaller than 5 years is okay.

• My sister was 16 when she married my brother in law who was 33. They loved each other as soon as they first met, and him becoming a rich physician 2 years after marriage made it even better.

What Girls Said 2

• Yes it can, because the two people may be at different stages in their lives. If their lives are heading in different directions... in time, their own pursuits would drive them apart. That's why it's best to be realistic.

• Maybe he's currently dating someone else.