Do Long distance relationships work?

Hey,
So I met this guy, he seems really sweet and caring
Only problem is it would be a long distance relationship.

Do they ever really work out? Is it worth trying to see where it goes? what are the positives and negatives?

Most Helpful Guy

• How strong are your feelings for each other? This is the question you might want to ask yourself. If both your feelings are really strong then I would say a long distance relationship can work if both of you are totally commited to it. Nowadays it should work better than ever. We have all this technology at our disposal which enable us to connect with people faster, better, etc. and it's constatly improving.
    Yes, it can work if both of you want to make it work.
    Both of you should try and find a way to come together in future. Don't accept the long distance relationship as being part of your life forever. Build a life together for the future, otherwise I don't see any relationship really working.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a LDR for 3 years. It only works if you're both on the exact same page. If you want and feel the same thing. If you're both so much in love that you are ready to face some really lonely, frustrated days and to suck up the jealousy. But you gotta have to have a plan to eventually close the distance and live together. The only reason my ex and I went for it is because I was supposed to go study there in a year anyways, I planned that even before I met him. It was just a coincidence to hook up with him while I was traveling there. Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted at the university there, and our plan kept being delayed and delayed. Before we knew it 3 years already passed and I couldn't move there. Had no luck with university or finding a job, even though I tried SO HARD! And he couldn't help me either because he was just a student too. It brought a lot of stress and doubt for both of us and he eventually lost interest and fell out of love with me. He just didn't feel the same anymore, even though he still cared about me. He met someone new and he broke up with me.

The only positive about LDR is that when you see each other after a long time, it feels like a fairytale. I kept falling in love with him over and over every time I would see him at the airport. And we would make the best of the time we have together. I had a reason to work harder and wake up with a goal every morning, and I would count the days when I will see him again. It was really exciting.

There a lot of negatives, though. Dealing with missing each other, wondering what are they doing or thinking at the moment, who are they with, etc. My ex and I were really devoted to each other, though. We used Skype and we were both on Skype all the time. That killed my social life. I was home at the PC all the time, just so I could talk to him in my free time and so I could be available to him whenever. He did the same. My friends and family didn't approve us either. And so on...

What Guys Said 9

• I was recently in my first-ever one, and yeah, I can tell you with ABSOLUTE certainty that they CAN work, if both people involved really WANT it.

If you both want to go through with it, make sure that you're really sure; that you both know you'll be able to trust each other, that you'll be open and honest about things, that you'll make time for each other no matter what.

If you don't treat it like a "normal" relationship, then you'll just be wasting your time. But treat it as such and it can be a very, very beautiful thing; almost as good as close-distance one. :)

• I'm attempting to do that right now with someone that isn't even in driving distance, its a plane trip. However I travel all the time and its not a huge deal to go out there once a month. To me it works since we are both really busy anyways. However if it were to continue for very long someone would seriously need to be moving. I don't think they should be very long term.

• Sometimes yes, a lot of times no. More so because LDR's take much more work than regular ones. But on the bright side a more fulfilling and great relationship can come out of an LDR if it works. I would totally recommend an LDR if you're 100% willing to try hard and he is too.

• If you're not making plans to meet him soon, then the chances are super slim anything will come of it.

• Any relationship that lasts longer than a breath mint is gonna have challenges, but if a relationship doesn't work out, it's usually not because of the challenges, it's usually because the relationship wasn't strong enough to begin with.

• according to me and from my experience long distance relationships never works cuz of the distance... in starting it likes very nice but as days goes on bitterness come to floor of long distance relationship better to avoid it if u can

• Not on my watch.

• It is working in my case since 5 years! :)

• they can, if you MAKE it work. but, it will involve a lot more work than one that is a regular relationship

What Girls Said 9

• They rarely survive the distance

Gradually insecurities surface and trust issues develop.

You start to feel envious of people who are able to spend time in real life with them, but all you have is texts and calls. You can't spend quality time building happy memories together

Most people you meet online are only passing time until something real comes along

LDR are too difficult to maintain, and you can't really know the person's true character until you meet in person

Long distance relationships are really just an illusion, because you build an image of what you're life could be like together, and what the person is like. In most cases , the illusion becomes shattersed after the two meet up

I'd never reserve a place in my heart for a guy online. I'd hold onto my heart for a guy I could hold in my arms

• LDR made me cry a lot.

• Nope.

• Yes, it is possible.
    I'm in one.
    Depends on who much effort both people are gonna put in.

• Gotta play it cool be genuinely nice when communicating , give partner eye candy - by that i mean u wanna show life is exciting where you at. Look at it like no LDR is ever serious - so gotta keep options open. Watch the texting. Always talk about interesting stuff not just "hey waddup"

• As long as you have a chance to be with each other at least once a week then maybe. I just think LDR is sad when you never get a chance to be with them

• Yes, they work, if both the guy and girl are WILLING to make it work. 😊

• Sometimes

• Long distance relationship works when two parties committed to each other, being loyal and faithful.
    Positive would be you tend to value the relationship more like appreciate each other more since you don't get to see each other often.
    Negative would be you can't meet whenever you want to.. If any shit happens in your life it could be hard for him to be next to you there for you.
    As long as you two being responsible and trust each other, work on the relationship together, it will work.