How long did it take you to get over a ex that you really truly loved?

Most Helpful Girl

• Over 6 months

Never got back with him or tried again? What happened?

Ok. Cool thanks for the help. You really helped a lot

No problem and I try! I wish you luck.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think you ever really "get over" it. The first cut is always the deepest, one bitten twice shy, yada yada yada. There's thousands of songs about this very question.

You learn how to cope with it. The wounds heal, but the scars remain. For me, I just got "numb" to how it felt to be alone and learned a hell of a lot in the process. Eventually you just get to the point where you don't think about the person every hour of everyday.

I hated hearing this when my partner and I mutually split, but patience is literally the answer. Time heals you. The best way to start the ball rolling is to try your best not to tear open your old wounds by looking at pictures of you guys together, stalking their social media, etc.

Remember, there is a reason why your ex is an "ex". Our brains tend to recall our past experiences more positively and with a warmth that might not reflect the reality at the time the events occurred. It's a defense mechanism. Unfortunately it can work against you if you do not remind yourself of why they are indeed your "ex". It's almost like PTSD.

It took me about two years. We dated for about the same amount of time it took me to get over it. Everybody is different. I learned a lot about life from the experience of going from being in love to being completely alone.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
    Love yourself.
    Suffering is required for one to experience euphoria.
    Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. (Seuss)

What Girls Said 1

• It's been 6 years and I'm still hurt thinking about him. Even tho he and I both tried to / or maybe he has already moved on from me

What happened?

maybe i just haven't found the closure between us then. we haven't got a proper break up, it just let it fades out, if its a short term thing, i might probably got over it, but we were in a 2 years relationship until it became a long distance, then yeah... he just disappeared from my life, avoid to talk about it, and i force myself to accept the fact he is gone. no idea if he cheated on me or what, it was alittle complicated but yeah.

What Guys Said 1

• decades