Is dating really a "game"?

So, long story short. I dated this guy for a few months, then he friend zoned me, but when we hang out he'll act like he's interested in being more than friends. Recently, I asked someone for advice and they told me it's like he's reeling me in and then casting me back out again and that I should be doing the same. The last time we hung out he asked me if I'd been dating anyone else. I told him the truth, that I wasn't. My friend suggested that the next time he asks me I should tell him I am. It seemed a little underhanded to me, even if he does seem to be playing games with me. She said that usually guys want what they can't have and he will start pursuing me further. I was a bit unsure, because do I really want a guy who I have to lie to and try to make jealous just to get with me? I asked her if this was the way dating always went and she said yes. My question is, is this pretty much the norm in dating? I know I'm 28 but he's the first guy I've ever dated. And, no, we never had sex when we were dating, so he's not just interested in getting that from me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, that kind of dating is a game. It allows you to attract people without risking your own heart.

Love isn't a game at all, which is why it can scare you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Is dating really a "game"?
    I see it as a game. I find it to be a game about power plays and getting what you want with the least amount of effort.

What Guys Said 3

• Some people look at it as a game.

• No, it's a sport get it right n00b _------_

• yes. of course it is. its all about who has the power

What Girls Said 1

• I hate games