Do many people still go on dates at the beginning of relationships?

Or do a lot of couples now just enter relationships with people they already know and immediately act like boyfriend/girlfriend?

How often do people go on a first date with someone they actually have to get to know?

I thought I just missed out on dating culture but maybe it's not really a thing anymore. Maybe texting and social media kinda phased it out and everyone's staying in their comfort zones.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think dating has become much more casual.

It's kind of sad, really. The early stages of dating can be so much fun, and you can't quite capture that (not in the same way, anyway) again down the road.

Why are people in such a rush?

Yes exactly! It's so casual now and everyone's in a rush to get to the next stage. I just want to experience that beginning stage. It always sounds so sweet in love songs I want to feel those butterflies and everything too.

Most Helpful Girl

• When me and my boyfriend were just dating we went on about 4/5 dates. Now we are in a relationship we still make the effort to go out once a week or so. Of course there are days where we just stay inside nThis week we are going on two dates :) it's nice to keep doing things. I couldn't imagine spending all out time indoors when the world is our Oyster!

Please make sense out of nonsense. I've clearly had one too many lol

What Guys Said 17

• I think formal dates are less common. I've had one relationship and it began with meeting her at school and seeing her a couple times a week. I would talk to her when i saw her and kinda got to know her that way. I developed feelings for her during that phase and so did she, but we then went to hanging out outside of the times we usually saw each other and then admitted our feelings. There was no asking out or anything, we went from admitting our feelings straight to cuddling, kissing and normal bf/gf stuff. I personally like that it happened that way, the whole asking out and formal date stuff can be so awkward.

• I've only been in one relationship when I dated before being official (2 dates only, though). The others I already knew the girl, we were friends, and it developed into a relationship.

I don't like dating, at all. I hate small talk, I just hate that awkward feeling of being with someone I barely know in a coffee shop (or wherever) talking about ourselves, especially since I have trouble talking about myself to people I barely know.
    I prefer being friends first and then bf/gf, but I know that takes a lot of time, and maybe it won't end up developing into something, so dates is the way to go, and that's why I have trouble dating. If it's casual I have zero problems cause you don't really talk about yourself, but when it's dating, it's more difficult for me.

I think most people nowadays date all the time, so I don't think you've missed on it, if you get yourself out there, you'll be dating a lot if you want.

Hahaha did you just hate that Panera day? Not that it was a date, but same small talk situation.

Yeah but my friend was a stranger!

Yeah, but you knew her though.

• I don't care, since a lot of dating culture revolves around jerks. It's almost always the assholes and the douchebags who end up getting the women, that's a fact.

And I noticed that a sizable portion of the good men are left single.

• People still date. The only difference is code words like "hanging out" are used, but it's the exact same thing. :)

• If they don't, they should.

Yeah I've always assumed that's just how it went but it's occurring to me that things may have changed before I ever got to do it.

• I'd like to go on a date, a real date, someday. I don't usually agree with ProbablyTooMature, but I love the way he put it. Making a girl feel special. Getting close to her...
    That's what I want ❤️

• People still do go on dates and hang out. Personally Ilike that better than social media dating. Even though I have had a couple social media gfs and it all went south.

Mostly all everyone wants on the internet or dating sites now is sexual activity. Or at least that's been the casr for me

That does sound like it was moving too fast. Probably a good call to break that one off

Yeah, I've made some mistakes in my dating life. But it really hasn't made me bitter, but rather less confident and self doubtful

• If there frends they already know each other in fact they probly did go on dates as well they just didn't call them that.

• I still date. I love the act of dating. Getting a rose, picking her up at her place, taking her somewhere nice, having a drink and a laugh, veiled to overt flirtation, making her feel like the most special girl in the room, getting close with someone for the first time...

Yes that sounds nice

I hope my boyfriend does that someday. Doesn't aways have to be fancy but just to go do something together would be fun.

He'd better! I don't know why women settle for guys that don't make them feel special. =\

I, however, also won't put up with being with a woman that doesn't make me feel special.

• I've only really did dates

• Nowadays people have dating websites and communicate by phone and emails, yeah it has changed a lot

• yes it is a must. when i was your age, i devoted my time to one person. don't do that. it takes time to build trust. they don't need to know if you are talking to other people, and you should assume the same. it is out of respect. either way when you are dating multiple people, treat them special.

• Yes people still go on dates.

• If I don't know her already there will be dates. If I do then it's immediately GF/BF time.

Do those both happen equally as often? Or does one happen more than the other?

Well considering I've only had two GF's ever it's hard to say, but in both cases I didn't know her and we went on a couple of dates.

Oh okay. So for you it's most common!

• Two awesome dates lead to many more. The 2nd one was magic.

• Depends. Are you looking for a sugar daddy or a bf?

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 5

• I don't know about other people, but I go on dates before we become official. It'd be too weird to enter a relationship with someone who is basically a stranger.

Yeah definitely dates if ya don't already know the person. I just haven't seen people date Much. At least not people my age.

• I dated to get to know my prince And a lot of frogs before him too. 👑🐸🐸

• I still go on first dates occasionally. If it's a new client or a guy I don't know I want to meet in public first and see how things go. If all goes well we're off to either his bed or mine.

• Yes people still go on dates, that's the only real way of getting to know somebody. You can't really tell a person by social media or texting because we sometimes behave differently behind a screen.

That's true. I agree. But that doesn't stop some people. At least from what I've seen

• I'm not sure.