What to expect on a first date?

So I've never been on a date. I'm wanting to know what do I need to expect that is going to happen. Any feedback or tips would be nice.

Most Helpful Guy

• Expect it to be fairly awkward. You two are learning about each other. If you don't know him well then tell him that your waiting till your married for sex. That drives most of the bad guys off fairly quickly. Look for red flags. Like he does not like the beach and you love the beach. He can't play sports but your a sportsy person.
    Also look for what you two have in common even if it is only tv shows.

Look I'm not a bad guy (perhaps a robotic asshole but not a bad guy) and while i have no problems with a girl wanting to wait a while before having sex if she says she is waiting for marriage I'm out. its mostly a personality thing for me because it just shows that you follow social rules with no real background in logic but also lets be real relationships are two people pretending they don't want to fuck eachother long enough to get in eachothers pants.

Most Helpful Girl

• I was a late bloomer to dating too. I was 20 when I went on my first first date. There haven't been a huge number since then, but there've been enough. Expect a lot of awkward silences. It just happens. it's not bad. Try and work up the courage to ask a question when this happens. Also, you will probably not feel immediate romantic chemistry. Sparks aren't realistic. The butterflies are probably more nerves than a developing crush. But don't let that somewhat lackluster feeling post-date convince you he's not worth it. I think (unless there's a major red flag or something else you just can't look past) most guys deserve at least a second date where you can open up a little more and take the time to feel things out. People talk about the end of first date kiss, but no guy has ever tried with me. On the second or third date, yes (or no, depending on the guy, but if he didn't kiss me by the third, things usually petered out pretty fast). Don't get too nervous about that part. If it does happen, it's rarely not mutual. We can tell when someone's not into us. Just have fun and be open to whatever happens! First dates are awkward and a little weird, but they're exciting, and you've got to start somewhere! :)

What Guys Said 14

• Expect to be shown a great deal of respect. If not you should leave or not go out with them again. If he isn't showing you that you are worth his time and energy it's not going to get any better.

He is there to get to know you, so let him ask the questions.

GREAT question!!

• Nothing you should expect absolutely nothing. Because if you go in with these high expectations of him it may be a flop in your head when it was a pretty good date. Don't listen to rules about first dates either. Just try and enjoy yourself and get to know him as a person. Cuz thats what your doing.

• You both need to interrogate each other about what you're looking for in a relationship, where you're at in life, where you're going, where you WANT to be going, and just learn everything about each other so you can hurry up and figure out whether you really are compatible. So have questions and answers prepared.

• You'll go to either dinner or a movie or lunch most likely.

Expect to be nervous and expect the date to be fairly awkward but that's ok most first dates are kind of like that, just be yourself, and relax and have a good time.

• When you go on the date. Your either headed to see a movie and dinner or maybe you two will just go out to dinner. Just go by the guys body language,
    what language he uses or how he talks also depends too. This will tell you
    whether you want a second date or not with him.

• A shitty shallow fake conversation

• 1|0
  • a first date can be somewhat awkward because it is a feeling out process. just go with the flow and make the best of it

• Present yourself nicely, and just be open to talk about anything.

• You kinda want to go out and do something fun but more then something where your your able to talk and hold light conversatiok begin to know each and see if each of you will be interested for further dates

• Being nervous.

• just be yourself. that's what attracted him to you. just be yourself

• Just dinner/drinks, casual conversation to get to know one another. Use this to determine if you want a second date.

• I've never had a date, but I think you need to dress nice obviously, be prepared to talk, eat properly, excuse yourself when you gotta use the restroom, and bring some money just in case he doesn't pay for you, which he might.

What Girls Said 5

• You can't expect anything or too much. It really all depends on who your going on a date with. Overall be optimistic and be watchful for certain cues and habits. Just try to have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions. Usually it may get awkward if you two aren't used to it, or the atmosphere itself. But just be yourself. That is the whole point. Also ask critical questions about him, what are his goals, ambitions, etc. And to remember to take things slow. Don't be afraid to speak up about something you may not like, etc. And that you don't need to commit to a person you don't feel comfortable with and getting to know further than that.

• It will be awkward - especially if it is the other persons first date as well. Or if they have not been on many dates. Just try to be yourself and have fun. I always feel like humor makes everybody involved more relaxed.

• Stop thinking about all those rules please.
    Do whatever you feel comfortable with.

And its the best to not expect anything.
    you're just meeting a guy and having a conversation with him, thats it. Just go woth the flow.

Good luck!

• Go with the flow. If you feel uncomfortable with anything or with the date, let him know! Go with your gut, but enjoy and just have fun! 😍😊

Also I'm 21 almost 22... I wasn't ready to date until I was 20. It was great and we ended up dating for 2 months. I had the mindset at first "go with the flow and just enjoy the moment. Whether he contacts you again or not won't matter." One thing I regret is letting go of that mentality after a couple dates... and getting attached fast. I regret doing something "things" with him too soon. But overall he was respectful and we get along so well. Just don't be afraid to point out if he makes you feel uncomfortable or if you think he did/said something rude! I went on a lot more dates after that... You learn a lot and it's fun. Especially when you really like each other! 😍

• Rule #1 don't have sex on the first date.

Have fun. Keep the conversation light and cute. Keep smiling and just enjoy it.