Would you date someone with no education, no job or no ambitions?

So I like this guy. He's sweet, funny, smart, we've been friends for a long time, and we can talk for hours, like all night.
But he is 31, no degree, no work, no ambitions and no plan for the future. And that makes me think about the future? One thing is to date him and so on.. But to marry a guy and have kids with someone who doesn't have a job? Sounds like a bad idea...

Most Helpful Guy

• Having a job and income is the backbone to support a family. Without that, then I can only see that unless you had a really secure and good paying career or that you would have to go on welfare or similar.

All in all, it is a very bad idea. If he still had ambitions and is still trying the best he can to do something about his current situation then it's still possible, because if he doesn't change, I can see a miserable marriage with children in your future should you choose to be with him. It's ok to lack degrees or education, because some of the most successful people in the world didn't stay in school, but they still took charge of their life and build their own wealth or brand and become entrepreneurs, not all but many had, and some didn't have jobs either. They eventually became CEOS or their own bosses, take Richard Branson from Virgin Group or even Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. Think big, but start small. They all had ambitions and dreams that became true eventually.

Communicate with him, ask him to figure out what his strengths are and capitalize on them and learn how to become his own boss and run a small home based business or something, it's still a lot better than working for somebody else in the long run anyway, since most people are very unhappy with their jobs these days. He can look for something like work at home opportunities, and eventually become a stay at home dad that works from home. Telecommuting jobs.

Most Helpful Girl

• So I'm in high school and had this similar situation me and this guy were friends then we talked but he didn't ever want to do anything. He just wanted to smoke weed. I ended up realizing that I wanted to date someone who had ambitions in live whether it was achievable or not. I realized that I had morals and standards in my life and dedication was one. If I were you I think you need to talk to him again and see if he has any plans in life and if not move on. You can't sit here with a guy who doesn't want to do anything.

What Guys Said 17

• Possibly...

As long as they dont significantly add to my expenses then I would be open to it. Ambition is impressive, but it does nothing for me in regards to attraction. I only care that they are attractive, fun, interesting, pleasant to be around, and not slutty.

• I don't know. Maybe. If we marry, then she's going to need to become a housewife and keep the house in order. Otherwise, what's the point of me marrying someone that practically literally does nothing in her life? I'm willing to marry someone that doesn't have any plans to go to college or even get a paying job, as long as she can keep the house good. After all, college is not for everyone (especially with such high tuition these days). Maybe later on, she could get a job (even if it's part time) so that she can help in paying the bills. People have dated and married ambition-less people in the past and I'm sure still do. Granted, I'm sure that most people would prefer ambitious people. But sometimes, it's not meant to be. That doesn't mean you should be forced to be with an ambition-less person. It just means that if you prefer someone with future plans, then find someone as such. Maybe this guy isn't right for you.

• You are right, this is a bad idea. His charm would quickly fade if you tried to live with him. When dating as an adult (out of school) follow the rule of the four "shuns": Education, Transportation, Habitation, Occupation. If someone is missing one of these, then you should shun them.

• No education , no job , no ambition and no plan for the future... yeah that's a red flag , how long has he been like this?
    How does he even feed himself?
    Is he like going to school or disabled or... anything?

• It is definitely a consideration if you are thinking long term like kids etc

• If you like the guy then date him... You're not married with kids because you're spending time with someone that you enjoy being with. I'm sure he knows he can't support a family right now, and I doubt he's pushing that idea.

• Ya long term stability is certainly attractive. If you can't see a future with him based off where he is in life now might as well move on cause it could never change

• Nope. From my experience those types have a negative outlook on life, expect you to do everything, and drag you down with them.

They either gotta change that around or it's not happening.

• Date maybe marry no. (Unless you are making a very large salary and don't need a supplementary income)

• If I really liked her then sure, but ima have to motivate her ass, but I don't think it'll work long term if she doesn't want to do anything

• this must be some kind of joke, are you desperate or he's got a big dick or something?

• If I liked them enough
    I would
    But I'd make sure they had some sort of job if I succeeded.

• That won't last too long...

• no, i never would, they are shitty.

• It would be a terrible idea.

• You can push him to get a decent job. Push him to go to school. Even getting a job as a salesman might be ok

• Whether you're uneducated, unemployed, or ambitionless doesn't matter.

If you're both losers, you shouldn't breed because the world will have more losers. If you're not a loser, why have children with someone who is a loser? Why even date someone who's a loser when you could fuck up and get pregnant by him?

LIFE SENTENCE.

What Girls Said 16

• Never in my entire life no ambitions is the worst thing ever. I wouldn't connect with them either simply because of that so it's a mute point I won't like their personality or anything about them.
    Plus they won't have any money which is a problem because I find money hot.

Do u find money hot or the erson hot because he has money? What about people that have no job because the lost it because they had no control over loosing there job. Is it fair to judge somone on having no jobs. I have plenty of friends that have no jobs because 1 buisness in the area went bust now they find it had to work but one thing they do have is ambition

@Jj2016 no if they're actively searching for a job and have a degree it's okay but if that's the case for too long then I think they're not searching hard enough or they entered a dumbass field which in both cases is bad

• Yeah it is a bad idea.
    No education and no job I wouldn't worry much about. It could be that he's just got fired or he could have been in certain circumstances.
    However, no ambitions.. means when shit goes down in your household in the future (after you settle down with this guy) he wouldn't be doing a shit, YOU will be the one take care of all stuffs.
    I never date a guy who has no plan for his future, lack of ambition. I don't know that's just too depressing for me.

• I don't mind if a guy isn't super far along or if he doesn't have a fancy degree. But if he has zero job, zero ambition and no basic plot to his story? No thanks.

• stay away. It just can't work out
    he will expect you to do everything and support his habits as well. If you want a life you need someone who can look after themselves

• No way. Bad idea for a couple reasons. If you were "just"going to date, you're missing out on better potential partners. He may bring you down and you'll only end up being resentful. Be his friend and help him he motivated for life.

• No ambitions at all is a huge turn off.
    Would not be with someone like that.

• If you don't see a future with him, don't date him.

• If he has no ambitions just It will be impossible us to understand each other.
    While he might not have formal education but still be more intelligent than others. And intelligence is something he must have if I date him.

• They wouldn't be doing anything with their life if they didn't have any of those things. Thats a huge red flag no matter how much I like their personality. I just couldn't get over the fact that they have nothing going for them. If they are at least trying, I wouldn't mind at all. But to accept that they have no ambition and no job, thats a huge nope 🙅🏻

• nope

• No way jose

• UM NO

• Not at all

• I have dated black men so yeah.

• Since you guys have been friends for so long, I feel like it would be okay to casually ask him "so what do you see yourself doing?" That way, you get an answer from him without making it seem like you're trying to push him into it. It now also depends how much you care about him and if you see a real future with him. These are definitely things you need to talk to him about.

• He has to do something for himself and be able to support himself. He can't be living off his parents paycheck for the rest of his life.