What is an acceptable age gap for dating?

My son is 15 and he is going out with a girl at the age of 13 I don't know what to do or say to him . She is very mature and looks older but people are saying things and he needs some advice.

Most Helpful Guy

• You do realize they are only 2 years apart, right? That's ridiculously common. My parents aree 5 years apart. My godparents are 5 years apart. Yet today, if a 20 year old is seen with a 15 year old, he's considered a pedophile?

Back in the old days, 30 year old guys would get married to 15 year old girls. It was considered perfectly normal. That only reason I think that's changed, is because of sex. Because a 15 year old girl is much more prone to screwing up and getting pregnant than an older woman.

With kids these days having no regards for what sex actually means, and losing their virginity when before even reaching 15 years of age, I understand why some parents would be alarmed by their child getting into a relationship at that stage. But you have to understand that dating does not equal sex, though it's hard to take that out of the equation, especially when it's on a teenager's mind a great deal of the time. I guess it'll depend on how well you've taught them.

Anyways, to answer your question, I think anything within 5 years can be considered normal. Anything over that, is possible, although I would consider it unusual.

• I agree with you. age is just a number to me, but he is called names like "peado" and this is verry upsetting for him.

• He's 15 and people call him a pedo for going out with a girl 2 years younger than him? That's seriously messed up. The best thing to do is to teach your kid to ignore these kind of remarks. Tell him people are only just saying that because they're jealous he has someone, while they don't. Because that's probably what's actually going on, anyways.

What Girls Said 4

• People can be so stupid! How can anyone call your son a paedo for dating someone who is in his peer group.

A 2 year age gap, particularly at your sons age is massively common.

Who is calling him paedo?, jealous male or female friends by any chance?...Grrr!

I would tell your son not to worry (easier said than done I know).

Obviously, they are both below the age of consent (certainly here in the UK) so neither of them should be getting up to anything.

You seem like a cool parent, talk to him and reassure him he isn't commiting a crime.

• That's nothing and you should kill yourself for being an overprotective bitch.

• the age gap is a hard question to answer.

But I think if its two teenagers, 15 and 13 seems quite innocent. I mean age doesn't matter as much to kids because its a much more adult concept. I don't even think 2 years is a great divide!

What I think people think of as in age gaps is when some nearly senile guy dates a 20 year old women, and then obviously she's called a gold digger, or someone waiting for her paycheck when the dude hits the coffin. But then there's stuff like 30 and 50, 20 and 40. And you flip things around, like 20 year old woman with 40 year old man, or 40 year old women with 20 year old man, it changes the perception of things because its to do with social norms. both are not norms, but we attach stereotypes to them too.

I think relationships are a really personal thing, go date who you want, as long as you don't abuse your position in anyway. I think teenagers dating teenagers is fine. I think its bad if an adult or mature person picks on a teenager because they are immature and don't know better, and are trusting. teenagers can easily be tricked into doing things they don't want because they are more vulnerable.

• same here. but I'm dating a 15 year old.. totally normal.

What Guys Said 3

• Thats not bad at all; I used to go for girls that age when I was 17-18-19.

• We are only talking 2 years...and since girls mature faster than boys they may actually be well suited for each other. Of course that does not mean you give them free reign, so plan things they can do in your home so you know where they are and what they are doing.

Sooner than you might like that two year difference will mean nothing.

• thats fine