Should I hang on, or let him go?

So I've been seeing this guy for about a month and a half and everytime we see each other it's wonderful. We always connect really well, have deep intellectual conversation, which is incredibly rare for both of us, and he is always 100% present when he's with me. We've both expressed to each other that neither one of us have felt anything quite like this about a person. He and I worked together which allowed us to see more of each other which has deepened my affection for him. A couple of weeks ago his mom became ill and it was understood that she would need a organ transplant. She would leave in a couple weeks. He has elected to live with his mom to help take care of her because she is very old, but she also helped him take care of his daughter while he was at work. He also, to both of our dismay, has an ex girlfriend who lives there because she hasn't been able to move anywhere else and she still is clinging to him for dear life. He had to quit his job to take care of his daughter so I don't see him much, if at all, and his mom left for her transplant Saturday but I haven't heard anything from him for a week. The last thing I heard from him was him saying he's preparing everything for his mom to leave and he's been thinking much of me. I thank him for letting me know but checking in isn't necessary seeing how he has so much to deal with and I'm thinking of him too. I figured if he wants to talk to me he will so I haven't texted him in a couple days. I've been trying to give him space and support and understanding and to be fair he did warn me that he was going to have a lot of personal stuff to deal with. The discordinance and silence is what's killing me the most. Should I just let him go?

What Guys Said 2

• I think you should contact him, if you don't end up together, at least you know you were their for a person in a time of struggle. I wouldn't expect to be with him though. Seems complicated

• I suggest you call him. If you just let him go he will probably go back to his ex. Right now he has you on his mind but if you give him to much space he might loose that.

What Girls Said 1

• It sounds like he still likes you and cares for you but, he doesn't want to feel like a burden to you. You can still check in just to see how he's doing and to give him support during this time. I wouldn't wort too much about the ex unless it sounds like he's gravitating towards her or brings her up a lot in conversation. Family issues like this can be draining, and having someone to support you through it helps provide emotional relief. If you still want it to work, let him know you'll be right beside him if he needs anything or just a listening ear. If it's getting too much for both of you, you'll just have to part ways and each of you will head down a different path.