Is This CHEATING?

My boyfriend of 2 years and I live together. Most recently I made friends with my male neighbor (who has met my boyfriend and knows about him). My boyfriend is leaving town for work, and I don't have too many friends. Is it inappropriate to go for dinner with my neighbor? We would pay for our own meals, nothing sexual.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yea that's not right. Would you like if your boyfriend went to dinner with a female next door neighbor while you're out of town.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not cheating! That's called eating out with a friend. Please don't feel guilty about things you don't do nor intend to do.

What Guys Said 6

• No that's not cheating, but he may not feel comfortable with it. If you know of your intentions then I would say it's okay because you have to trust each other. You should probably tell him about it though and if he is okay with it then make sure you don't send the wrong message to your neighbor.

• sounds like friends and nothing more to me just mention it to your boyfriend if you don't it will look like you are keeping it from him.

• Nope, just keep it casual.
    And keep it clear that you dont want nothing sexual.

• Not at all. Friends can be friends.

• If you tell your boyfriend that you might be going out with the neighbor, then it's not cheating, since you're informing him of what you'll be doing

• its not really cheating if nothing happens but might lead to a weird dynamic as you both live beside each other and he might want more at some point even if he doesn't rate now

What Girls Said 9

• That's definitely not cheating, especially if your boyfriend knows about it. If there is not sexual intent then he is just a friend, simple as that. I hope you have a nice time.

• That's not cheating, sounds like two friends hanging out to me. Now, I'd let the boyfriend know in case he's the jealous type.

• It's not cheating, but if your SO feels uncomfortable about it then his feelings should be considered. I guess you have to ask yourself if you'd be ok if he went out for a meal with a girl while he's out of town.

• Not cheating, but you need to talk to your boyfriend about it and make sure he is comfortable with it first.

• No, it's just like hanging out with a friend. Maybe make sure your neighbor keeps it platonic and casual, though. No candlelit dinners, rose bouquets, etc.

• I don't think so unless he has ulterior motives

• should be okay ur boyfriend might be uncomfortable with it tho

• Check what your boyfriend thinks.

• No just make sure your boyfriend knows about it and doesn't mind and make sure your neighbor knows it's strictly platonic. Maybe even invite him to bring his own date.