Another case of mixed signals?

Long story short, I'm just not gunna get into details. I'm 1000% sure this guy was interested in me (there were signs, obvious ones that involved hugs and cuddles) and then literally the next day he does a 360 and things escalate to a point where i needed to ask him what his intentions were with me and he straight up says he's not sure if he's interested in me or not.

What I want to ask is, despite the fact that he seems like he's not interested anymore (or is not sure if he is), we actually still get along well and joke around, banter often and he still actually does flirt when we see each other, but he never text messages.

1) What is the deal with this guy? Is he a player?

2) I still consider him a good friend, he is working his ass off for a Ford Mustang, his fave type of car. And I mean he is REALLY working his ass off and is a big fan of cars. I'm planning to write him a short message for his birthday on October 30th and I already got him a poster of the evolution of the design of Ford Mustangs from 1964 to 2016. My question is, if you were given this kind of gift would you consider it thoughtful? Would it strike a chord in you? What would it make you think of me considering that I actually remembered the type of car you liked? Is it too forward? Basically I just want opinions from men.

What Guys Said 2

• 1) unknown at this point
    2) very nice gift

Not sure means not sure, you're probably coming on too fast.

• I would love that. It also show that you are interested and might get him to make a choice.

What Girls Said 1

• 1. Yes, he's probably a player. If he wasn't, he would be more direct/clear towards you about his intentions.

2. He would probably appreciate it since he's a big fan of cars.