Why do so many Men want to use Kiki or Whatsapp instead of asking for your number?

I've done the online dating thing for years now. Trust me, I know online dating in the modern world is never fun and it gets frustrating. Yet, I work 6 to 7 days a week... so I keep trucking on hoping to find a connection. However, I've seen a trend overtime. When I get a good conversation going on an online site, instead of asking me for my phone number, a man will instead ask me to use a messaging app. Now I get privacy and not wanting to share your information right off the bat. But, messaging apps have been so sketchy in my past experiences. One man ended up having a wife. Another a girlfriend. My poor friend found out her fiance was chatting with several women over Kik. Other men just want to send naughty pictures instead of actually getting to know me. One was even just a fake profile a guy used to mess with me. I'm so confused and just put off by those apps. Yet, no guy will just want to exchange numbers any longer! Even in person a guy, instead of asking me for my number, asked me for my snap chat username? Is this modern dating etiquette now? So please, do any of you use these apps? Why? Why not just text? I'm just frustrated.

What Guys Said 2

• I think it's for all the reasons you listed above. Sadly it's where we are today.

• Guys and girls love snapchat. 5 seconds of titties with full control over what's happening

What Girls Said 1

• Say, as I do, that you don't use Facebook, Twitter etc., but you'll tell him your phone number if he can use that. The reason of course is that Twitter is free and making a phone call costs a few pence and he's a cheapskate. Don't use Facebook etc., they reveal things about you that you don't want him to know.