Talking to a Guy my Ex Knows?

To keep it brief, my ex and I dated on and off for two years, much of the last year was long distance and in the end it didn't end well and admittedly ended on a bit of a sour note and we no longer talk. However our social circles do overlap with some of our extracurricular activities. I met a guy through one of these mutual settings right around the time we first started dating and naturally it didn't develop into anything as I was off the market. This guy is the brother of one of my exes good friends (and the girl he cheated on me with, but in her defense she didn't know we were dating and her and I are on decent terms). I ran into the brother this weekend and we exchanged smiles and I went on my way because I'm unsure of how to approach the matter. He is someone my ex knows very well, but he is someone I have a ton in common with and I'd like to get to know better. By no means is this something I want to do out of pettiness, I want to move on with my life and this new guy seems like a good person with whom I share several interests.

Am I breaking some sort of code of exes or the bro code by getting to know this guy better? This ex is my first and i'm not sure what the etiquette is on the matter and I don't want to cause unnecessary drama.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• Well, is depends on how mature your ex is and his friend. If they're mature about the overall situation then they should respect your decision to get to know another human being because you're interested. It's not a big deal so they shouldn't make it to be. You have the rights to be able to talk to his friend if you're really interested to. However be warned, his friend might act cautionary around you knowing that you're his best friend's ex. So he might treat you a bit distantly at first and warm up later once he starts trusting you. If you really want to get to know him take it slow and steady. You don't want to go dive into this situation without knowing the outcome. The slower you ease into the water the better you can brace for any currents that might be invisible to the naked eye. Take it slow and steady there's no rushing this. If nobody is taking it well just pull back and respect their decisions and move on. If all seems to be going well, go ahead and pursue a relationship if you're still interested!

• Well, expect gossip. It'll happen.

• So he's good friends with your boyfriends ex girlfriends (that cheated) .. Brother lol.