Would you date someone with a difficult past?

Would you date a girl/guy who had a less than ideal past? I saw a similar question on here but the "difficult past" was more about self harm, depression and other mental illnesses. What if the "difficult past" was about losing a loved one (dad, mom, sibling)? Does the idea of worrying about this person scare you away?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been with girls like that before I try not to hold that agaisnt them as a reason not to date them. I would rather be a force that helps them to move on from that point and become better from it like I did rather then not be with them because of that and make it worse.

Most Helpful Girl

• It really shouldn't. I have a very difficult past, but its not the usual past others would think: like smoking, drinking, doing drugs, having sex, etc. None of that. I just lost my mom recently last year, and my grandfather, which is her dad this summer and my dad's family just buried a cousin of mine today. Its a lot. But I wouldn't call a difficult past a deal breaker. What IS a deal breaker is if their belief's, values, views, moral's etc doesn't line up with mine. If they don't want to change, if their into things that I disagree with. Things like that. Other than that, everybody has their own baggage. But what matters is wither or not their mentally and psychologically healthy or you may end up dealing with a serious problem.

What Guys Said 11

• That's fine.

• As long as whatever that past was doesn't negatively impact our relationship. I've been burned by that too many times.

• Depends if they don't make it such a drag and keep bringing it up if they were an optimistic person then yeah

• Well, we all have different past. I rarely hold the past against anyone. The past is trapped in time until it's forgotten and vanishes completely. The past is overrated.

• Of course difficult past or not she/he stills needs love. I would just try my best to comfort her and help her get through it so it doesn't bother her anymore.

• I am one with a difficult past, so I wouldn't turn her away for it.

• Yup I'd date them
    Nope it ain't gonna scare me

• Nope, if she's worth it I'll support her anyway I know how.

• why not, ey?

• Not dating a girl who has had many failed relationship. I can be understanding of growing up in a bad home (because hey we can't choose who our parents are). However, a woman who actively keeps picking shitty men, or who have had lots of failed relationships is a big warning sign that any guy should stay clear away from.

• Losing someone will get better over time so something like that would be ok and you would just comfort them during

What Girls Said 11

• I don't date because of my difficult past, I attract the same sort déjàvu. Every relationship I've been in has been a disaster. I think deep down if I had a normal background my life would be easier.
    So to keep me right I stay away from men altogether, it's hard to tell who is good and who is bad because everyone starts off good in a relationship.
    I would date someone with a difficult past because they would know what it was like.. they have been through it. It takes a strong person to date people like us unfortunately not everyone's strong some are just prey waitin to pick the bones.

• Depends if he managed to win and make his past a past or if he's still victim of his past...
    Maybe.

• I can date someone wit a difficult past, so long as it dosent harm my relationship in a negative way. Too much baggage can be a bummer, but I have faith

• As someone who fits that description of a "difficult past", I'd be a hypocrite if I said no.

• Yes my boyfriend has a difficult past and I love him so much

• I know who this is 😏 Haha

• Yeah, I would.

• If they've moved on and it doesn't effect our relationship (that sounds selfish I know)

• No I wouldn't.

• I would go for it but if they don't trust easily then I would slowly try to get them to open up.

• To be honest, no. I have a simple life I want a guy with a simple middle class one.