How to tell him I want children?

I'm only 20 y/o but I know that I want to have children someday. I adore babies and toddlers, but also feel protective of people only a few years younger than me. I've been told I would be a really great mother, which makes me happy as I'd love to have four kids one day. Anyway, since this is so important, when in a relationship should I tell a guy about wanting children? I understand that I'm young and the boy I'm dating currently most likely won't be the boy I'm dating years down the line, but I don't know that I'm compatible with someone who never wants children. Being nurturing and motherly is part of who I am, but how do I show that without scaring my boyfriend away? How do you even talk about a subject at my age? Just looking for some advice.

Most Helpful Guy

• ok just skip all the technical parts, just skip straight to what you want. imagine you have a kid now. you´re dead tired, cause it´s crying all the time, you´ve not been sleeping more than 3 hours in one go for months and you still feel the pain of giving birt. what does it feel like. do you think everything is set? do you think he´s the right partner? are you able to propperly raise the child and fullfill the obligations it brings?

wanting a child is of course not wrong. having one just because you want one is wrong. having a child isn´t about you. it´s about the child. if you can answer the question:"is this the best time for a new human to be born and raised by you?" with a resounding yes, then you can start actually consider thinking about having one.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you should tell the guy as soon as possible. I doubt it would scare off anyone who's genuinely interested in being in a serious relationship with you.

What Guys Said 3

• You know, I see no reason to talk about this to anyone early on in a relationship. If the relationship gets serious, THEN you can bring this up but why bring it up now other than to come off as strange?

• Just ask "Do you want kids?" If you are dating to find someone to eventually marry, this is something to bring up pretty early.

• Oh come on you are just 20. Relax.

What Girls Said 1

• JUST SAY IF YOU DON'T WANT A BUN IN THE OVEN THEN THE BAKERY IS CLOSED FOR GOOD!!*Then walk away like a boss*