Why do women want to feel protected by their man?

This is a question I've always wondered about.

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly just think that it's in our animal instincts. I mean, look at nature, the male tends to take the roles of protecting the entire family and being more aggressive and firm when dealing with threats. I honestly just think that it's part of the animal instincts that we have to want to feel protected and safe with our man. It feels reassuring to us and allows us to relax more and be more trusting in our relationships with them. Part of this is also a survival instinct. We need strong mates to carry strong children and we need help from the male to protect them. This behavior is often seen in wolves, wildcats and birds! Or rather, more intelligent beings in general really. It also plays a part in a specie's evolution. For example, with rams, the males fight tonproge their strength and whoever wins gets the female. The rams with bigger, stronger, and better horns would win the majority of the time, so those traits were carried through his offspring etc. etc. Until all rams had bigger horns. It created a stronger species in a way by a long process of elimination, because that's all that evolution really is! Just getting rid of things that aren't neede anymore for better things to help the species survive. Well, I hope this helped you understand why females like to feel same with their man! :)

What Girls Said 30

• Ah, the evolution. I really have no idea why, but it's true. There's something extremely hot and attractive about it. My boyfriend literally saved me and changed my life completely, I was drowning in shit before I met him, and I would die in that pile of shit if he didn't reach his hand to help me.

• Well, doesn't every person want to feel like their partner isn't just going to run off the second danger rears it's ugly head? Traditionally speaking, we're deemed the "weaker sex" (though this isn't true in every case) and feel more readily threatened by things that commonly exist in our surroundings, so we feel more vulnerable. So, it kinda just makes sense that you'd want to feel as though your SO wouldn't just tuck tail and leave you to trouble.

• Feeling safe is something that people generally enjoy.

• Because men are bigger and stronger than women. If it's against another female of equal size and strength or lesser then sure, we'll be all big and bad. But there's only so much defense wise that we can do in terms of someone being larger and stronger than us. I get that it's the same for men, but men's bodies are stronger than women's and can take more damage than we can.

• Society teaches them they should. Tbh, a lot of what we want from our partners is based on what society says we should want, especially when it comes to gendered stuff.

society? so you're telling me in a one on one fight with no weapons a woman will always beat a man who is more aggressive and far stronger physically?

blah blah blah some bs about how society fks everything up, yet i dont see you fighting a man, next time some honks at you, get out of your car and challenge that man to a fight, here is what looks like when men fight : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rv9N1xXrdk

if you want to claim something support your claim, dont throw all that society crap at me when you know very well that women are physically much weaker than men and depend on them for protection.

@IceCubeDude: Honey, this ain't the stone age anymore. We're not hunter/gatherers who rely on physical strength for success. That time is long since passed, and now the actually useful traits are far more to do with intelligence and creativity, things that men and women happen to have in equal measure. Seeing as you've shown me no evidence whatsoever, and really just shown me that you're so rooted in your own narrow ideology that you aren't even willing to form a decent argument to defend it, I'm gonna have to cut you off here and tell you that I'm gonna have to block you if you try again with this nonsense if you don't at least try to provide valid scientific evidence of your claims.

• It's a survival thing. Traditionally, men were the ones who went out to hunt for food and fight to protect their families while women were the ones who stayed home, had kids and fulfilled household duties.

• I'd like to be protected by anybody, not just a man. If somebody protects you, it shows that they care and that makes me feel both safe and loved. Also, who wouldn't want extra protection, both physically and emotionally?

• It would be a new feeling for me. I'm always protecting myself. I think it would feel nice to have someone else want to do that

• Men are physically stronger than women. If there is danger, we have someone who will help us. It also makes the guy feel more masculine too which we are attracted to. Plus, I have been in sooooo many dangerous and scary situations. Someone who could prevent them or stop them from happening makes me feel safer and comfortable. You'll be surprised how much scary situations women are put in.

• It could be a paternal feeling or chialvry Whether they lacked a caring father or admires one - it could be why they'd want that.

• Because who doesn't like to feel safe around their partner?

I don't get how muscle can make you feel safe. Streets are dangerious. They can stab your muscular boyfriend. I wouldn't feel protected with a man's muscle.

@Vivaldi yes it will and you clearly haven't been in any fight if you think otherwise

I am not the kind of man that get into fight with anybody. I am not a fighting kind of man and having muscle won't change it either. I am who I am, with or without muscle.

• it's biological.

• Dunno, I just know that I fucking love it and it's hawt as hell.

• I think people want to feel safe in general.
    I feel safe with my immediate family, SO, and certain friends. There are some people I won't hang out alone with because I don't feel safe & I feel like they won't have my back if something happens.

• I love that my boyfriend makes me feel protected. I love that he's willing to defend me and keep me safe.

• Lol nope. I can protect myself

• I'm not sure but it sure does feel good knowing he got my back. Maybe you guys are physically stronger. Possibly something biological

• Protected as in, I feel comforted by him and I feel like he supports me. I think the phrase "their my shelter on a rainy day" describes it well.

• I like feeling safe I don't know.

• I don't know, but when I read the question, I automatically smiled

• I don't want him to protect me. I want him to be stronger than me and be able to protect his family. That's cuz of our nature

• To feel safe, and to know that he has my back and is willing to defend me when others attack, whether is it verbally or physically.

• do u want otherwise?
    to be protected by a women?

• because its an awesome feeling!!!

• I don't.

• Makes me sick

• Cuz it feels safe... like he's backing me up always. Kind of like a warm blanket

• Physically women are the weaker sex, and for many many years we were dependent on our men to be safe and be able to feed the family, it's a primatial instinct.

• Because you're our minions

• It makes us feel safe and happy :)

What Guys Said 24

• For many women it makes them feel safe. Most women love the feeling that the guy will protect them from harm. Also women are less likely to get attacked when there's a big strong guy walking beside them. However there are women out there who legit know how to defend themself and don't need protection.

• It's instinctual. We live in a very safe world today compared to our past and our biology hasn't changed. The reason men have stronger bones, narrower hips, much more upper body strength than women is because we're built for combat, whereas women are built to carry children. It has always been a man's role to protect the women and the tribe. In times of plenty this is forgotten as it becomes less important until shit goes bad again.

• You are probably moving into latent subconscious feelings that no one is too sure why they feel that way - I think often couples just slip into these roles.
    We are going back in evolution to when humans were hunter and gatherers.

• Probably cause it feels good? I dunno, but I love wrapping my arms around a girl and her seeking comfort in me, and I'm a pretty slim guy!

• It's biological. Just like most of the negative things about them, it served a function back around the time of the Ice Age and before. Unfortunately, they really haven't evolved since then, because they haven't HAD to evolve. The same strategies that guaranteed their survival back then are working for them today.

• It's a well known fact, because women are weak. My wife feels the same way, so that is the proof.

#VoteforMe

• Because nowadays, the world is soooo dangerous! There are carnivorous, wild animals lurking around every corner...

Sarcasm^^^

• It's rooted in evolutionary biology but exists today more so as a gender construct.

• It's a natural instinct for a guy to protect his women and the women to want to be protected by him.

• Because in ancient times war tribes would go village to village kidnapping, raping, and taking women as trophies and commodities.

• Does not apply to all women, nor the majority of them.

I know it doesn't apply to all women but I know a lot of women tht like to feel protected by a guy at times

• Because they are pysiqually weak creatures.

• never had a girl that wanted to feel protected lol

• Question is ; why do they need protecting in the first place?

• My question is, what do girls need protecting from?

• Looks like they have a lot of enemies. They need a bodyguard.

• tey're weak.

• I want to feel protected by my woman. :3

• Funny how women want to be safe but half the time they go with guys that are more dangerous than they are safe.

• No one actually knows the answer.

• It goes back to cave man days. The biggest, strongest man was able to survive and protect woman. Cave woman wanted this because it ensured she could survive long enough to protect her offspring. As much as people think they have evolved and become sophisticated, people still have several of the cave man/woman aspect in their psyche which influences mating choices.

• because they are princesses and deserve everything the world has to offer

• Tens of thousands of years of evolution. There is nothing wrong with that, and nothing 'sexist' about it. It is a naturally-evolved trait, for men to want to protect and care for women, especially the ones that have their children.
    Some fight it, and say it is condescending/sexist/ or whatever. I think for most guys, it is just an innate, inherited evolutionary thing.

• Because they're with a man not a pussy