I am a religious person - is that a turn off for girls who aren't?

Hello all - I am writing to ask something that i have been wondering for a long time - I am a Christian born and raised - however I find it hard to find girls at my church that i am interested in (since to be fair i don't even attend a lot) so I mostly meet girls from my uni and it's safe to say that none of them are religious - I don't hide the fact that I am a christian to them but It made me wonder if non religious girls are normally turned off by religious guys?

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmm. I am an agnostic. Religiousness is not necessarily a turn off in itself, but it increases the chance for other turn offs, such as: opinions on very important world issues, especially social ones, even insecurities about being accepted and liked within each other's social circles, and last but not least.. lifestyle adjustments! I, for one, would not agree to go to church regularily or often, and especially not every week, with anyone. Because it is not who I am. But the person might feel alienated from me if I don't value that, since for them it is a big part of who they are. And last but not least... if the people are looking to get serious.. how are they gonna agree on the way they raise their children? This might also be problematic.

Most Helpful Guy

• Food for thought: How compatible will you be with "non religious" girls? As a Christian, would you be OK marrying a girl who has very different views on morality, especially sexual morality than you do?

Not being a girl, I can't really answer your question from their perspective. That said, I have noticed that many will be turned off by a religious guy, especially one who isn't lukewarm about his faith and who is overt about his beliefs, especially if they are feminists.

You say that you don't attend church a lot. Perhaps you should find another church that does speak to you. That said, be forewarned. A lot of so called "Christian" girls aren't all that different from their secular counterparts, especially when it comes to moral issues.

There are Christian women at the university. In the USA most unis have religious clubs and organizations (not sure what it's like outside the USA). I have a cousin in Hungary. She's a lawyer and a practicing Catholic. Her husband is also a lawyer and a Catholic. So there are believers in the uni. Many don't advertise it because they fear unfavorable treatment from the faculty and fellow students if they were to be open about their beliefs.

I wouldn't be OK with marrying a non christian girl , unless she is open minded and understands completely my religion and can talk to her about it , for example if she has an issue i can explain how i see it as a christian but without trying to preach. as long as she respects and understands it , i would be open to the idea of marrying her.

What Girls Said 15

• Well it really depends on the topics on us girls are interested in. Religion is just one aspect of your life, ur personality, ur looks, ur culture and how you portray your future are all indications of a person to know if they could see themselves with you.

I personally don't think religion is a turn off but knowing other girls who do not believe in god at all, it could be a turn off because they would think that you would want them to go to church with you or try to make them want to believe in god.

That is true. I wouldn't think of date a non christian girl unless she is open minded enough to talk about it but without forcing her you know just as long as she understand my views

@IvoirianGirl20 Ok, i won't argue with u because that is ur opinion.

Finally some common sense!!

• If religion is important to you, go for Christian girls or you will be disappointed. I also couldn't find any religious guys and my 1st boyfriend was not religious, I ended up heartbroken. Just a suggestion, try online dating, okcupid in particular cause you can answer questions and see who is the most compatible. Don't waste your time on non Christian girls, this will just mess w/your heart.

by the way I'm not bashing non religious people, just that if it is a major part of your life, find someone w/similar beliefs.

Agreed. The OP will encounter many issues down the road. Like, how do you raise the Children as Christians when they see that mommy doesn't pray or go to church. And they will notice.

• I used to be non-religious and I didn't care about a guy's religion as long as he doesn't try to impose it on me. If he did try, the relationship falls apart from there...

Now I am religious and I care if he is too. People who don't share your faith tend to hurt it, chipping away at it every day. If you care about it, I suggest you keep this in mind. Your faith has to be strong to live. Our loved ones define us whether we like it or not.
    Also stop being lazy and go to church.

• I'm Christian too but I don't go to the church often so for me that's totally fine. That's not a turn off I think it's only a turn off if you talk about it too much (they might feel that your too religious I think)

Exactly, you will either need to be lukewarm with your beliefs or hide them as you already pretty much have to in public places like school or work.

• Im non-religious and I wouldn't date someone who is. Obviously he doesn't have to be a hardcore atheist, but religious fanatics and the like are no-go.

haha i feel you and i am not a fanatic , honestly my main philosophy is as long as people respect my beliefs i will respect theirs. :)

• It depends. I don't wanna have to change who I am eg don't ever swear

And I don't really want traditiom

• for some girls yes it can be a turnoff for me its a little bit of a turn off no offense I'm just not into that religious stuff.

• I'm a Christian to but I don't go to church anymore

• Depends how bad you are.

• Noe as long as you don't force certain views or opinions on me it's fine

• Some of them. Also depends on how religious you are and if/how anti religious she is.

• Really depends! If you're an understanding or open minded person, it won't be a turn off. If you think the only right way to live is like you and are not open minded to other ways of thinking, then it's a turn off.

• well God has the right person out there for you and you shouldn't even date girls who aren't Christians (unequally yolked)

• nope it's a turn on for me

• really depends on the person

What Guys Said 9

• It depends on the level of religiosity. If you're the kind of person that can't have anything positive happen to you without publicly praising God and you feel the need to quote scripture/mention Jesus all the time, yes, it will likely be a turnoff to many women unless you happen to find one with a similar level of religiosity.

If your faith is a more private part of you, it shouldn't matter too much.

• Congrats, I'm British also and I applaud you for going against the curve of being an atheist because it's trendy.

Sadly, at my church... most the peoeple that go are old. I don't think i would date a non christian but it's possible. i'd just rather seek the christian girl whatever way makes it easiest

• I wouldn't regard it as a turn on or turn off - Depends on the couple and their individual views on religion - Couples are going to have lots of factors that contribute to the dynamics of a relationships but I don't see being religious as a general turn off for girls.

• I'm agnostic and I prefer to date someone non religious but if someone simply believed in god and didn't force it on me then I wouldn't care. Only if they forced it on me then it'd be a turnoff.

Aggressive atheists annoy me too though. I've dated some girls that seemed to be really concerned if I believe in god as if it was a make or break situation.

• I used to be devoutly Catholic, never had issues with getting women

I think the key is to not preach as well as respect others life choices

• in your situation i could see that being a thing but you will find a girl who wants you as you are at some point. especially if you are clear on one thing... you also respect that they dont have faith and won't ever preach to them.

i normally never do that even to my friends unless they ask or wants to understand something.

then your cool and just be patient

• As a atheist, I surely don't want to date with religious people. For your question it depends how religious you and your crush are.

• pretty much if your cute girls will lie to you to get in your pants even if you believe in god
    if your not hot
    girls will reject you for it and say some made up crap
    the regular stuff

• Only those that are anti religion