Would you date a schizophrenic who had it under control if you guys really clicked?

Lets say they have paranoia and delusions sometimes but not unmanageable and the possibility exists that they will develop voices in their head and hallucinations on bad days but not always but they never had them before. But they can 99% of the time deal with it by themselves. and 98% of the time they are normal but every so often they will have a bad day where they freak out and their mind gets stuck on a ridiculous possibility that may or may not be targetted at you until you build a high level of trust. but say you otherwise really like this person and are attracted to them. Would you date them or go for someone who isn't crazy because there's a lot of noncrazy people out there?

• I could handle it and be there to comfort her/him when s/he had bad days.
  • I couldn't do it. Thats too much responsibility.
  • There are plenty of unparanoid fish out there. Ill find someone else.
  • I would give them a chance but if it got too bad I would tell them I would bail.
1mo wow im really surprised. i didn't think there would be any votes for yes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, mental illnesses are more common than people think, and you may easily end up dating one without even knowing it tbh so yeah why not. And since I am studying to become a psychologist I may eventually know how to deal with people who have schizophrenia a bit better than other people would.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I would under the terms in your description..

What Girls Said 5

• Only couldn't do it because I dated a guy with this and bpd and it messed with my head so much I'd never do that again.

• No, I wouldn't date someone with schizophrenia.

• I mean honestly he would probably be less crazy then some of the guys I've already dated

• Everyone is crazy in some kind of way! But I think this is normal. If I would be a person with a schizophrenia I think it would be okay :D

• hahaha I like a bit of crazy every now and then

What Guys Said 2

• Sure though I think I'd be a little creeped out if I was ilke sleeping and they were in bed and I woke up and they looked at me and said can you see the monsters to.

But seriously I could handle it if they had it under control and I'd help with it if I could.

• The issue isn't one of responsibility or being able to handle it. It's just an unsafe situation to put yourself into. Unless you've known them a long time and have seen them at their best and their worst you'll never really know what you're getting into. Not to mention mental health issues generally tend to fall on the X chromosome, meaning that if she has it there's at least a 2:3 chance your potential child will have mental health issues.

Find someone else.

30% of people have mental health issues. the vast majority of schizophrenics aren't dangerous. there are only a small percentage who become violent and they are usually a lot more schizophrenic than the example. but you wouldn't know if someone would act out aggressively or kill u anyway until they do. most people who are killed are killed by people they know anyway. but just say that u sense that she would not be dangerous and that her delusions and paranoia would be about minor stuff like thinking u are being passive aggressive when ur not.

If I were you, which I'm clearly not, I would think some therapy--with a good therapist-- wouldn't hurt. Maybe it is easier on you, but just like working out, what's easiest isn't always what is healthiest.

Anyway. G'luck with your lady friend. Hope it works out for you guys.

I've been in therapy since I was in grade 7. Therapy does nothing if you know what methods are supposed to do what. It's really all smoke and mirrors to rewire itself when most people with the issues I have need our connections completely desoldered, cleaned, and resoldererd into correct position.