If I'm on a break and I hook up with someone else is it considered cheating?

Most Helpful Guy

• So here is how I look at this and I take it very personal because this happened to me and it has basically ruined my relationship with the woman I am dating. We took a break because she needed it. She ended up sleeping with another man. The break could have made us stronger if she got to that point ad then stopped herself. I really loved her and since I have never felt the same about her. I still love her but I have a sense of disgust with her for what she did and I am struggling with it. She made a mistake and came back to me about that and was sorry and all that but I still suffer from it and will likely leave her. She completely regrets what she did and I know that but I am disgusted by it even though I still love her.

So to answer your question, while it is not cheating, do not do it just for the sake of having sex if you ever have any hopes of reconnecting with your person you are on a break with. For one, if you regret it, and you likely will, you will hurt everyone. It is not worth it. Take time to see what you really want and then if you "hookup" with this other person do it for the right reasons.

S

What Guys Said 15

• You aren't supposed to be on a break to hook up with other people. It's not cheating, since you're technically not in a relationship, but it's not meant so you can go hook up with someone else... bitches everywhere xD

• Not really but you should think about what the break is for, if you take a break in an attempt to try to fix your relationship and you go and sleep with someone else then yeah obviously it's wrong.

• It's not cheating according to the letter of the law, but it is according to the spirit of the law... Ugh, this is one of the many reasons "going on a break" is a really bad idea. Work things out or break up, don't half-ass it.

• Technically? No - but if you are a decent human being and care about him at all, you should tell him, and he has every right to break it off if he doesn't like it.

• No.

I think "breaks" are stupid, but if I were on one and girl fcked somebody else, that would be deal breaker for me. Not because she cheated (she didnt), but because I'd think she wanted a break just to screw somebody else.

• It depends because everyone makes different agreements while they take breaks.
    I was on a break with someone once and we both hooked up with people.

• Taking a break is equivalent to giving some space. Yes, that's cheating.

• No you're on a break

• Yeah, as long as you're still exclusive, it is cheating.

• No. All breaks are break-ups as far as I'm concerned.

• Ofcourse!

• "breaks"... what's that all about? all this is is an admission you can't commit in a relationship. Taking a vacation from a relationship isn't going to fly. It isn't cheating, because your relationship was over.

• People can say it's not cheating all they want but that's not going to get him to want to ever want to speak to you ever again once he finds out.

I sure as hell would never take a girl back if she screwed a guy first chance she got if we went on break. The whole point of a break is to have alone time to reevaluate yourself and the relationship. It's not supposed to be an excuse to fuck someone else.

• Ask Rachel and Ross from Friends.

• Yeah it's cheating, since you didn't break up. Also slutty as hell

What Girls Said 13

• No, it's not cheating. You're on break, meaning you're single now. You can do whatever you want. Now, it depends how long the break is, like a few days or couple weeks isn't much but, several weeks or a few months is probably more understandable. Someone could go on break for a day and hook up and I think that'd be skeptical.

• not technically but you should tell the one you're on a break with before you get back together. Usually a break is to clear your head of some issues in the relationship. Sleeping with someone else isn't going to help clear your head.

• Oh, the everlasting 'Friends' dilemma... :)) in these cases i think it is best to deal with everybody's feelings, starting with yours and ending with your partner's. Both of you have the right to feel in any way you please and it would not be wrong in my opinion. It is too tricky to say one or the other.

• if you're broken up, it's not cheating.
    if you are not broken up, then yes, it's cheating.

• No because break means break up.

• Not technically but I probably wouldn't want to get back together with you

• I don't know but it shows you're not that interested in whoever you're on a break with

• Nope. You're on a break. Live it up!

• Well yeah kinda because you haven't actually broken up. And I'm sure the guy you're on a break with wouldn't be okay with it if he knew.

• Nope, technically right now your not in a relationship so it's impossible to cheat on yourself.

• WE WERE ON A BREAK!!

Hah, sorry, couldn't help myself.
    I'm with Ross on this one - they were on a break, but he didn't have to hook up with someone else that same night. I'd be pissed as well.

To answer your question though; it's not cheating. A break is - unless otherwise is decided among the two - a single status. In my mind.

• A break usually implies you are taking time from eachother with expectation to get back together. That often means the parties involved did not allow for hook ups or engaging in a separate relationship. So it may actually be cheating, but it also may not be depending on what you and the person you are taking a break from agreed on. If nothing was said then it's pretty safe to assume it's a deal breaker for the other person if they knew, whether you call it cheating or not.

• yeah ı think so