Is dating older guys a good idea?

I'm turning 18 soon so no need to tell me to be careful on it being illegal but I'm into older males, like... I can't date guys my age, it's a big turn off and all guys I liked were 27+ till 35-40.
I have no problem in being in a relationship with a 40+ yo. Even if it's a serious one, also from what I've noticed I attract that age group (30-40), they're mostly family friends, on the caffee, on the beach, on the bus... But would society think of me badly if I date an older male? Would he take me seriously at all?

Most Helpful Guy

• we're the best and i'm the opposite I only date younger.

Would you take a younger girlfriend seriously?

yes i do take them seriously

Most Helpful Girl

• I understand you, I also dated a much older man when I was 19, lasted for about 1 year. It's a tough time, compatibility-wise, for men and women the same age at that time. Go for it, just make sure the guy is legit!

Did he take you seriously? Mind if I ask why it ended?

Yes he did. That's what I meant by 'make sure he's legit' (but I didn't wanna make it sound condescending, as if you needed to be told that). We broke up because, well, probably the age difference! Lol. He was at a point in his life where, after about 6 months of romantic passionate love, he was just happy to have someone there and be at peace. I was very much in love with him and would have liked the 'honeymoon phase' to go on. Or, to put it more accurately, if he had agreed to spend at least 2 hours a day with me so I feel more loved and less alone instead of spending all day locked in his study... we would have worked out. I felt really lonely and I was living with him already at that point. Loneliest I've ever felt with someone. We'd only see each other at dinner time and when it was time to go to bed. One of the most painful things I've ever had to do was remove myself from that huge, lonely house.

What Guys Said 6

• Who cares what society thinks? Fuck them. Do you.

• Yes. Society will not be accepting.

I feel like I'll be having hard time

Why not?

The problem with dating older guys (one of the problems) is that not only will you be looked down upon, but the guy will be treated as a criminal by society. That means that any older guy *who has any brains* will avoid you, since he doesn't want to be put through that. Therefore only stupid older guys will actually be available to date you. That means instead of getting the cream of the crop of older guys, you will instead just be getting the guys who are too stupid to avoid the whole situation in the first place.

• I had a 19 year old friend with benefits that loved how i treated her. I met an 18 year old girl after her. I would have seen her more often but she up and dissappeared.

• Older like 25- 35, sure, maybe, older like 40 - 86, nope, bad idea. I really don't date women more than 10 years younger than me. 19 too young.

• No I wouldn't.

• Daddy issues galor

Irrelevant answer

no, you are a jerk

Nope, cause I'm irresistible

What Girls Said 2

• I dated guys in their 40's before

• I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 28, and we are really happy. Sure some people think it's weird, but honestly if that is what you want then you should go for it. If you find someone older who treats you better than someone your own age, than why not...