How long did it take you to say, "I love you"?

When you started a new relationship, how long did it take you before you said the words, "I love you" to your significant other? Is there such thing as love at first sight?

Most Helpful Guy

• about 4.5 months

we moved really fast though and we woukd stay over each other's place multiple times a week, sometimes she would be over my place for an entire week.

Most Helpful Girl

• I still haven't. We've been on/off texting since around April, but didn't really start seeing each other till June/July. Nothing romantic happened before late September. Then I went away for 3,5 weeks, and we texted and called every day and one day he said he loved me. I was really surprised because we've not really spent all that much time together - the meets have been far in between. I couldn't say it back though. This is the first time I've felt this strongly about a person and I haven't been in a relationship before. Maybe that's why I'm holding back.. Sometimes I feel it would be natural for me to tell him I love him, but I don't. I need that one, defining feeling that makes me absolutely sure this guy is for me. I don't want to say it back just to make him happy. I have to mean it. Those words are special and much too exhausted by tired brands, marketing and superficial relationships. When I say it, I want there to be no doubt in my mind at all. I have to get a clear vision of him when I read/hear/say those words. So far, his outline is there, but I need the rest. Some parts of him are missing before I can complete the person I think I might come to love. I don't dismiss that you can love parts of a person, but you can't tell a person you love them before you've seen them at their best and worst. If you can love every single part of that significant other, then that's the real deal. It's not about how long you've spent together, it's how much you know about each other. Love at first sight? I don't believe that. There's attraction, infatuation and compulsion at first sight, but not love. Not the way I define it, at least. It roots too deep to develop just from sight. x

What Guys Said 2

• It was about 2 weeks after we started dating i told her ( ex) I loved her.

• I don't know. I guess it depends. Lately I pass that word around like appetizers. My love is easy.

What Girls Said 18

• My situation was different, but me saying "I love you" was what made my ex and I start dating and become involved romantically. We'd been friends for years and I finally realized that I didn't want to waste anymore time pining for him. When I admitted that I loved him, he told me he loved me too, and then that was that lol. It definitely wasn't love at first sight though, I actually really didn't like him. Time went by and I saw different sides of him though, I started to find him cute, etc.

• LONG LONNNNNG TIME!

• With my ex fiance it took 8-9 months and i had to ask hom why he wasn't saying it? He told me i was cute and that abviously he loves me.

The guys after him, we had a very passionate on and off rationship for 3 years. He said it at 2 years mark. It was very special. Sometimes the longer is the better but can't also denote communication problems in the relationship or a fear of being vulnerable.

• ... it's been almost 3 years and I haven't said it yet.

• 2-3 months? I fall in love easily, but it takes me a bit to say it

• I was the first one to say I love you in my relationship. We had been "talking" for months and I knew he was going to ask me out soon but one night we were cuddling and talking and he had been having a bad week. He was talking about that, and he got upset and i tried to comfort him and somewhere in my comforting speech I kinda just ended up saying I love you. He didn't say it back, and that was okay. Once we had been dating for about a month officially he said it back.

• My current boyfriend I told the first day we hung out and he said it back. We kind of knew instantly that we loved each other. My last relationship I never said it at all because I didn't feel it.

• I said it first a month into our relationship. He said it back a week later. Now we're married. So I guess it depends on who you ask and who believes in it.

• Never said it

• 3 months

• Very long it takes a while for me to let someone in

• about a month. Somewhere around there if i remember correctly

• Not long enough

• 1 week

• Took me a year and even then it was an accident.

• Still haven't said it yet. He just said it for the first time today though. We've been close friends for about 2.5 months but we've only been dating for a week. I guess this week kinda took a toll on him and it just came out. He was dealing with some personal family issues this whole week, he even cried about it in front of me, and I've been trying to comfort him. Today he seemed kinda better and we were talking on the phone, and it just kind of came out. It kinda surprised me, but it was sweet. I didn't say it back though because I don't say I love someone unless I'm 100% sure I mean it. It takes forever for me to completely trust someone on that level.

• when i figure out what love is... lots of us are still trying to figure out what that word means... i know love with family and friends but with significant other...

• 3 months. And I don't believe so, at the end of the day you can have lust at first sight as that's about appearance. But you don't know the person to love then