When would you consider our boyfriend/girlfriend a part of your family?

When do you consider them a part of your family? When does your family consider them a part of your family? Does your partner like your family? Are they comfortable around them?

What Guys Said 6

• It really depends on how "permanent" the person seems in your life. Family is an almost permanent idea so whenever that person seems a part of you then usually they would feel like family. Sometimes friends can seem like family before a boyfriend or girlfriend too. My bestfriend feels like my sister and I've only known her a year.

• 28d

If you feel or knew your partner would be around for a long time, would you feel compelled to consider them family?

• 28d

Yeah I just think as long as I don't foresee a reason we wouldn't still be together I'd consider her like family

• 28d

And how different would you treat her if you considered her family?

• Marriage.

• when my family accept my girlfriend than she becomes part of my family...

• 27d

How different would you treat her when you consider her family versus her not being considered family?

• 26d

it won't make difference if I love her than I love her no matter what... even my family accept her or not there wil be no ups and downs it makes in my love life

• When she sleeps with me n share her food. Kiss over my lips. 😊

• She isn't family, and she never will be. When I move out, my family will not be a part of my life, so we won't need their approval.

We will never have kids. We will never make a family. Just her and I against the world - lovers and soul mates.

• 27d

But if it's you and her against the world as you say, doesn't she then become our family?

• 27d

How could we be family? We won't make a family. She'll be my romantic partner and best friend, but not family.

• Around a year

• 28d

Would your family treat your partner as a family member or differently?

• 28d

They treated here like a family member

What Girls Said 15

• My fiance and I dated for 5 years prior to becoming engaged. When we became engaged, my mother said, "We finally get to officially welcome him into the family even though he's been like family for many years already."

3 months before we got engaged, his family went on a hiking trip out west and I went along to a store with them so they could purchase hiking boots. When the sales lady asked if I needed boots too, his mother cut in immediately and said, "Who her? She's not family. This is a family trip." So... apparently I was not a part of the family then.

And when we got engaged his father said, "You're almost a part of the family now!" So apparently I'm STILL not family.

But my fiance likes my family a lot and is very comfortable around them. He and my dad get along uncomfortably well lol

My fiance and I became family, to me, when I realized we were in a serious relationship. I think it took about a year before my parents decided he was family. Obviously it is taking much longer for his family to come to that conclusion. I probably won't be considered family to them until I take his last name and make it legal.

• 27d

Thank you for sharing :) does his family like you, though?

• 27d

I know his sisters and their husbands do. I'm never quite sure what his mom and dad think lol

• When that person wants to get married into the family and the everybody is in agreement. But it really all depends on WHAT KIND OF family you have. You have the envious and jealous type, the user type, the loving and understanding type, the criminal types [sorry have to put it out there], single parent or baby momma/baby daddy baby drama types, etc. The moment my close friend's now husband was very serious about her, I already considered him family, and I knew they were going to get married. Now they are. You can just sense it about them that their the right kind of person for you and the family.

• 27d

How different would you treat the person between considering them family as oppose to not being considered as family?

• 27d

@hlab3

It depends on who they are. What they are about. How were they raised, etc. If I sensed something is not correct about that person. I will speak directly to the one he/she is dating. I will still treat them civilly. But 9/10x I won't be around them as much. Sometimes its not them. Its just me being very introverted and I need my space. I have family members who married people I've never met before. And already they show a lot of problems that makes you question: what the hell were they thinking? But they already had children out of wedlock, so that was an indicator.

• At the point i say "i love you".

• 28d

So if it was said early on in the relationship, you consider them part of the family then? Would your family treat them differently because they are new?

• 28d

If i don't already think of them as family, it won't be said. And i won't change my behavior like a switch that i turn on or off, it will happen gradually over time. So for me, i'd never say those words early in a relationship because there is so much more to it than attraction and exclusivity.

• When we're engaged.

• 27d

• 27d

They would be around my family more often if they were "family" and probably go to more family related events like weddings, holiday gatherings, and maybe even family vacations.

Most of the time, just a "boyfriend" wouldn't come to those, they'd do that stuff with their own family separately.

• 27d

Are you saying he wouldn't come to those because you're assuming he wouldn't or you're just not inviting him? What if he wanted to go to them and be a part of the family?

• My boyfriend basically is my family. I think your family starts to consider them a "part of the family" when they start to get along and you both get serious.. and it's obvious.
    My partner strongly dislikes my family and my family probably doesn't like him. Religious differences.

• 27d

• After engagement or after marriage

• 27d

• 27d

I'd be more attached and confident that they weren't going anywhere. They'd come to all the family events if they wanted. My parents would treat him like a son.

• I've never been in a stable relationship long enough to know. I suppose when you marry them? Or have a child with them?

I have a guy best friend who I consider family and I've known him since I was 6 years old.

• 27d

How different would you treat the person between considering them family and not considering them as family?

• 26d

@hlab3 I don't pick any family over either one.

'chosen' family are my closest friends.

• 26d

Ah, okay I understand now

• I would consider them part of the family when we've been together for a while now and the family gets along with him. Like he genuinely gets a long with them , not just acts nice and has small talk but actually jokes around etc

• 27d

• 27d

I would treat my boyfriend the same honestly but I guess I would invite him out with my family more often. Sometimes we could just hang out and talk with my family. Invite him to Thanksgiving, New Years, Christmas, etc

• 5 months. That's how long our dating relationship lasted before he proposed. I imagine it depends on the person.

• After marriage or once we decide to officslly move in together. And even after marriage there are family matters over which he has no right for an opinion. Same applies for me.

• Are they gonna be here for a long time? Do the family approve? That all counts.

• 28d

How different would you treat them when you consider them family?

• It really depends

• When he cums inside me for the first time.

• I didn't feel like my husband was my family until the birth of our 2nd child right before our 3 years married (7years together).

• 27d

Any reason for this?

• 27d

Nope, I am just a really hard person to get close to i guess. We had our 1st when I was still living at home and so was he. I livedat home with my mom unmarried until he was 18months and still thought of my parents and sister and brother as being my family first and formost. We got married and got the apartment for 2 years then brought the house and had baby #2 and he just made everything feel different, complete brought everything together for me.

• 27d

My husband and I have been together for over 13 years now, married for 9.

• It just happens over time.

• 27d

How different would you treat him when you do consider him family as oppose to not family?

• 27d

I wouldn't consciously treat him differently. Me treating him differently over time would be natural, and would go along with becoming family. It just happens naturally, it isn't a plan or something I'd think about, one day he'll just be more.