Do texts matter in a relationship?

So I've been with my boyfriend for almost three years & he's away at college. Is it weird to be texting all of the time throughout the day? I always thought it was normal but recently he's been taking about an hour to answer & when I questioned him about it he said his roommates girlfriends go 8 hours without texting them & that they don't care about it. Just wanted some opinions on this?

What Guys Said 2

• Sometimes you don't feel like texting, it's a huge interruption to what you're doing and you can't respond for maybe 30mins-hour. Or you're watching a movie or something and you just want to relax. I text my girlfriend all day, she usually calls me once or twice a day. If i'm busy I may take a while to text back.

• I think it shouldn't matter at all. One of my exes broke up with me because I didn't text her for 3 days when I had a family crisis. I didn't give a crap because she was someone who I think is going to end up alone.

What Girls Said 7

• Well firstly, it's not okay for him to be comparing your relationship to others. This is absolutely a big no-no in a relationship and something you just simply do not do, ever. He was wrong for saying it and doing it. Each relationship is different and works differently. Some couples text all the time, others hardly ever. It comes down to the 2 people and their dating styles. There's no right or wrong. Just cause it works for his roommate's relationship, doesn't mean it should for yours too.

If you want more frequent texting then it's a need of yours and he should be aware of it. If he can't fulfill or compromise then you two are not compatible.

Texts can matter yes. Like I said, we all have needs and things we want in a relationship. It's OK and normal to want communication in a relationship.

Me and my boyfriend text daily, sometimes quick respones, other times not. Depends on what we are doing and I know when to give him space when he's with friends and such.

• It really differs with each couple.
    Some of my friends text their boyfriends constantly, seemingly conversing with each other through the entire day via text. Others not so much. Maybe 1-2 texts/day at most. Which would include myself, where I just want a text or two per day to touch base if we can't see each other in person.

You just have to find what works for you. What would satisfy your own individual needs for connectedness and such.

• The only time I go 8 hours between texting my guy is when he or I are sleeping.

• Dumb fucking question. Obviously you were bored and couldn't think of what to post

• Yeah, me and him can go a day or two even without texting lol. I think it's different for you because yours is away at college. When you live so close to your boyfriend, there isn't really a need to text so often so you know?

• It's important to keep in contact on a daily basis if he is away at college. Feelings fade over time if you don't have contact on a regular basis. Texts should also be of quality, and not meaningless , without feeling and emotion , or the relationship won't last

• Not really. As long as you both make an effort it shouldn't really matter