What does it mean when you're "walking on eggshells" with someone you date?

What does it mean when someone says you're "walking on eggshells" with someone you date?

Is it the same as them playing games or having you jump through obstacles to prove yourself to them?

Most Helpful Guy

• You feel like you have to be extremely careful about everything you say and do.

• 22d

Sounds about right. The times I've dated women who were on the rebound, it felt exactly like that. Especially when they acted hot and cold. One day, they'd be all over me and then act like they want nothing to do with me the next. Fuck that. But it leads to a lot of over analyzing and you feel like you're fucking up big time but don't know why.

What Girls Said 3

• To me, it means that you have to be extra careful with/around them - in what you do and/or say - because you're constantly worried/afraid that the smallest thing would of hurt, offend, annoy/aggravate, and/or creep them out.

It's good to put some care in the way we treat people/someone you're dating, but if it's to the point where you're walking on eggshells, then I don't think it's healthy.

• 20d

Would you say someone who is on the rebound and acting hot and cold consistently is having you walk on eggshells?

• It means you should probably look for an escape plan, just in case. :\
    Walking on eggshells generally means you have to be very tentative and careful in your everyday dealings (with her, I assume). It means that for some reason, your actions and behavior could, at any time, set her off or scare her off, and sometimes yes - you might have to play their games or jump through their obstacles to prove yourself to them. Usually it's not ideal to have to walk on eggshells in a relationship.

• 22d

Yeah that sounds about right. This isn't current but with someone I dated a few months ago that I was a rebound to. Her constant hot and cold behavior made me feel like I was walking on eggshells. Like there'd be times where I'd text her something or ask her a question relative to a situation then she'd ignore me. It wouldn't have anything to do with dating, relationships, or even seeing each other. It was an absolute mindfuck and caused a lot of mental stress.

• it means you have to censor what you say around them cause they get triggered/offended/angry easily

fuck. that. shit.

• 22d

Yep. You feel like they're judging every move and word you say and that the tiniest thing you do could end it all. Not worth it.

What Guys Said 2

• doesn't mean playing games or proving oneself

it means... to me... that you are tip toeing around issues in the relationship and trying to avoid things that cause or may cause conflict

• 19d

Yeah I could see that too or worried that smallest things might scare them off or turn them off.

• 19d

exactly

• Try actually walking on eggshells. You'll figure out what it means 😂

• 22d

Haha yeah, but I just wondered what it was a metaphor for.