Have you ever met someone from the internet?

Whether they're just a friend, a long distance relationship, or a long lost twin, what was your experience like?
- Were they the same in person as they are online?
- Was it more or less fun offline? (aka did it meet/not meet/exceed your expectations)
- What did you guys do in general?
- Where did you take the friendship/relationship after?
Tell me er'thing. I'll harass you guys for more information in the comments.

What Guys Said 17

• You ask a lot of questions - I got friendly with a sister of a real life friend
    (1) She was really quiet in real life yet very comfortable around me so she really connected with me online, I did feel a little awkward at first but it got better
    (2) She visited her sister in Ireland and I visited her a few times in Houston, Texas
    (3) Hung out
    (4) Good friends

• I have a hobby and started participating in an online forum with others who had the same hobby. A few of us agreed to meet and we did. Yes, they were same people as online. We are mostly just online friends though. We only hung out twice within the 5 years.

• I met a girl from the telephone chatline it was a nightmare.
    She took me in her car and played chicken with the car pretending
    she was going to run it into a bus.. We went into this store and she
    demanded to be pushed in a wheel chair and this girl had no
    disabilities but i refused cause it was embarrassing.. I had a empty
    pop can she demanded it to be thrown out of her car and she pitched
    it out of her car but i was willing to throw it away in trash can this girl
    was a piece of work and we came back to my house and she left to
    go home I never stayed in contact cause of her actions so i always
    tell people be careful who you meet from chatlines, internet.

• I've been meeting girls from online for about 20 years... so yeah, I've met a few.

I've had long distance relationships (Australia to California)
    I've had hookups (car fun)
    I've had long term relationships (even the long distance ones were usually long term)
    One of my best guy friends lived about 8 hours from me (now further)

• 19d

How did the long distance work once you decided you wanted to be together? Did one person move to the other person's country?

• 18d

We spent a LOT of time on Skype and even eventually played games together to have some interactive activity.

We did not end to staying together long enough for one to move.

• It happened twice. One is a nice person, the other is a lunatic

• I've met some friends I made from gaming... it was cool. Would love to meet some people from here but too far away

• 19d

Wait there is more than 10 people in Luxembourg? 😝

• 19d

They say all Luxembourgs know at least 5 stupid jokes about Belgians. What are your other 4?😜

• 19d

@akadatank44 6:10am and too lazy too translate. go look them up yourself. there exist more jokes about Belgium than Belgians

• Nope not yet. Soon tho!

• 19d

Someone on GaG? Good luck!

• 19d

Lemme know how it goes dude, im genuinely curious.
      Not yet but soon maybe? I'm at the point where I think hanging out in person would be a lot more fun/funny than texting but it seems everyone says it's about the same. You'll be my guinea pig in testing out that theory k?

• 19d

Oh I will!! I'm sure it will go great. she's awesome like me 😎 we get along great. I will tell ya!!!

• Met two really good and close friends online - each by coincidence.

• 19d

Coincidence? What happened?

• 19d

One was through a former YuGiOh forum (former player) which I visited like every 3-4 months still during that time and just happened to talk in a thread about music and he mentioned he had a certain album already that wasn't released yet and I asked him to share the download link. 2 weeks later we met to go out and went full bromance. #suchfairytale

Other one was just me occasionally offering help to folks online and was about relationship help and then kept in touch and developed friendship over time before meeting.

The disadvantage of the internet obviously is the lack of personal closeness and contact - the opposite though is that people are more willing to be more open as well as you having the chance of meeting people you wouldn't otherwise get to meet.

• Yeah, it was a nightmare both times

• 19d

Story time.

• 18d

The first time we met on a dating app. We dated for 11 months, then I found out she was cheating on me for the majority of the time then dumped me on my birthday. And she was only with me for financially stability.
      The second time we met on the same app and it was great even though we were only friends, then we started to talk about dating but then she started saying how she wanted to be in an open relationship and she just started to completely ignore me. So yeah it hasn't worked out for me at all. I'm going to stick to dating people I meet in real life.

• Yes, quite a few times. All of them were nuts. Just my bad luck I'd say though.

• I don't knowwww maybe kind of possibly perhaps

• Yep 💁

• only from gay dating sites... it met my expectations

• Nope

• No I've never had that experience I would like to try have you? X

• I met my ex-wife online. Everything was fine until after we were married and lived together for about a month, then I wished I had never met her. I still tried to see if it would work out, but after a year I gave up and divorced her.

• 19d

What happened?

• 19d

I couldn't trust her. Too much dishonesty.
      She valued money and jewelry more than time together or thoughtful gifts.
      She wasn't affectionate enough.
      Too much arguing.

• Met and didn't like it

What Girls Said 17

• I actually dated someone I met from here early in my GAG days and we dated in real life after initiating things online. I suppose things were more or less the same but we didn't work out. Long story and it's best that the details don't get thrown out around here.

• 19d

But I love juicy details

• 19d

Ha. It is not worth dragging back up. In our defense we both had some skeletons we were dealing with and my brother died during it all. He made the effort he could at that point to... at the very least be there with me. It was all complicated and what it really came down to is that... he and I weren't the best matches for each other. Or maybe timing is everything. Who knows. Our flaws didn't mix well with each other.

• Yes I have met someone through the internet a few times. Some were good and some were creepy. You just have to get a vibe from them before you meet. I wouldn't advice anyone under 21 to meet a guy from offline tho. a lot of men prey on younger females. Just want to play it safe.

• Yes.
    Met him on here (lol).
    Turns out we went to the same university and our home towns were like 30 min away. So yeah, we just met up. We've been dating for 2 years now lmfaooo

• 19d

That's awesome. Was it how you expected it to be or different from how you interacted online?

• I met loads of guys from online dating.

Most were pretty much the same.
    Most were just a cup of coffee and that was that.
    However, a few were medium/long term relationships

• I think I might have.
    Obviously the face was slightly different since in picture it blurs out a lot ; and also effects and etc makes you look somewhat different than in person

It was a friend

• I met a guy on Craigslist and it was awesome, but I don't recommend making it a habit! You will have good and bad results! Good luck

• I plan to meet someone from here really soon! He's only about 6 hours away from me which is cool. He's such a sweetie and a good friend! I just hope he's not superficial like most guys.

• 19d

Good luck! What are you guys planning to do?
      Let me know how it goes :)

• 19d

Thanks!:) I know a while back he wanted to take me to the fair! Recently he just mentioned cooking spaghetti for me!:p lol I imagine it would be something chill. He knows I love food so.. lol.

• I've done this with tinder and bumble. I'd say the voice and height tend to throw me off a bit usually. I've only been in a relationship with 1 guy I've met offline.

• 19d

Voice throws me off too I've never met anyone but I used to work with people all over the country and normally just emailed them back and fourth but sometimes you gotta call and your like I was not expecting that as your voice lol.

• 19d

Lol that sucks!! Twas all that food my last night 😜

• Yes, they weren't psycho.

• Nerp but I have talked to people from gag on Skype.

• No, but it would be nice.

• I have- a girl I met online like 15 years ago. We became friends writing back and forth. Eventually texting a lot. When I met her and her fiancé she was very quiet, which was fine. But afterwards it's just not the same :-/ I thought the meeting was great and I had so much fun and felt so happy, but she's fallen rather silent.
    Another girl I met online on a blog site who I found out was going to my college (this was 10 years ago) and was so nice online but in person was a total B. Not very friendly towards me and gossiped. Since we met on a blog site she was my friend on there and was showing people at our college my friends only posts :-/

• 19d

You mean she became more quiet after meeting? Like not messaging as often?
      Damn that sucks, sorry to hear

• Yes I have. When I was younger I'd play imvu a lot and I made a lot of friends. I've met a couple of them once.
    To answer your questions:
    -Yes they were the same, a little more shy though
    -It was very fun and nice but it was also a little awkward as expected
    - We hanged around the place
    - Unfortunately, I don't talk with any of those people as they came out to be assholes and backstabbers in the end. Yay me.

• 19d

Lolll i miss imvu.
      What happened with the backstabbers/assholes?

• 17d

I miss the old imvu, like, the 5 years ago imvu.
      They were talking about me behind my back, the girl who I'd consider my best friend would say anything I told her about the guy that I had a crush on (who was the other asshole) :D. Anyway, I'm over it now xD

• Met two from my brief stint in online dating. One was okay. The other was insecure af.

• It's weird but he was more of a deeper person when we would message each other and talk on the phone when we first started. After we met in person we made it official to be a couple after a week. We fell for each other hard! He looked a lot taller in his pictures but in person he was the exact same height as me 5"5. We had a lot of fun in person. We would just laugh so much and have so much sex! He was awesome!. I felt like he was the one! But after a while I just had a bad feeling AND Unfortunately, after a year as great as it seemed he was cheating on me. Such a bummer. Because not only was he a great friend I had to lose him because of it. So. My internet heartbreak!.

• 19d

Would you say it was a lot more fun in person than online?
      Aw, really sorry to hear that it didn't work out

• 19d

It was actually both ways fun!. We didn't need to go to places to have a good time. Just being with each other at home was always really great. It's alright. I'm happy that we had nice memories. And that's good enough for me.

• Yeah I've met a lot of guys from the internet (online dating).
    Yes, pretty much.

Sometimes it wasn't as good as I expected, sometimes it was what I expected and sometimes it was better than I expected.

- What did you guys do in general?
    Coffee and/or a walk usually (for the first date).

Most I didn't continue any contact with after the first date, a few I went on to have more dates with, a couple I kept/still keep in touch with as friends and 1 I got into a relationship with.

• my last few relationships were founded through online dating. I don't do long distance so I made sure they lived close enough b4 even meeting. they were the same as online except for a few white lies about age or income. in general we go to dinner or out for drinks. a few became my boyfriend, a few I never talked to after 1st date, a few became friends with benefits, few became fb friends, & 2 became my bd.

• 19d

How did you react to those lies? What happened with the ones you never talked to?

• 19d

nothing happened. it wasn't a bad experience I just decided I didn't like them. I was nice but went home & they ask for 2nd dates but I just told them it wasn't gonna work out. some of the lies disqualified them, others are forgiveable. depends. I always called them out on the lies tho