It's that time of year that being single makes me depressed. Am I getting too old to use the excuse "just focusing on myself"?

I'm 24 and never had a relationship. I usually start dwelling on it in the winter for some reason.

I always let my financial situation prevent me from getting to know people. I just can't bring myself to the idea of dating if I don't even have a career (or struggling so hard with my current career). And I am struggling with my own self too much to be concerned about dating. But I am getting old. :(

On top of everything, my dad died this year so it's the first holiday season without him and generally everything is shitty so I have that feeling where I could use a little love from someone.

23d Also I am shy and introverted. It is very hard for me to be myself around people.

What Guys Said 5

• There's no time like the present, and it is cuffing season after all so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to spend time with. What I think is a bigger issue than dating is that you say you have a hard time being yourself around others. Get out there, sit in bars with freinds, talk to randoms, that sort of thing. If you can't be yourself around others, how do you expect the guy you're after to know who you really are?

• 23d

Yea true. One time A guy really liked me and I liked him but after hanging out a lot of times I still was quiet and hard to talk to and carry conversation. He ended up getting into a relationship with another girl. Like he gave up. I was really really hurt and depressed after that. I was comparing myself to his girlfriend like why can't I be as outgoing as her?

• 23d

You can! You're just so worried about what other people will think that you get stuck looking for the right thing to say, instead of just saying what comes to mind organically. Drink and talk. Don't worry about what he or anyone else thinks, it'll be hard, but it'll get easier

• Your 24 and still young don't be too hard on yourself and you have had a bad year as someone who suffers from depression it's hard getting out there when you got issues going on

• What networks do you have to meet men? Church, work, any groups you're part of?

It scares a lot of women now but there's nothing actually wrong with leaning on a man for financial support.. Every generation of women have done it, even now.

• i tend to talk a lot to girls i was never taught how to ask a girl out so once i lost the girl i had i have just been very quiet unless its just a normal convo try to get me to ask a girl out if i like her i get very shy and can't

• You sound like me and how most guys actually feel too

What Girls Said 1

• Story of my life! Never been in a relationship either, and I'm 26. Even though I was pursued by/pursued guys I liked, a few time, things didn't work out.
    I know how you feel girl! :(