Would you break up with someone if your parents don't like her/him, or if her/his parents don't like you?

• Yes.
  • No.
  • If my parents don't like her/him, yes.
  • If her/his parents don't like me, yes.

Most Helpful Guy

• Parents might not like who there kids date but you shouldn't break up with someone just because your parents don't like them

What Girls Said 24

• No. My boyfriend and my parents absolutely hate each other. They think that he's rude and a bad influence, he thinks that they're abusive towards me and doesn't tolerate when they say racist/sexist/homophobic shit. I appreciate that my parents want to try and look out for me but at the same time, I want to make my own decisions. I'm happy in this relationship and I think that he's been a good influence an he treats me well. I'll take my parents' criticism on board but make my own judgement too.

If his mother didn't like me, I'd be upset because it's important to me that the family does approve of me but I don't think that I would break up with him.

• It depends. It's my own choice, and it's not their life so I can do as I please, BUT I do believe there are some things that others see that I don't. So I'd have to listen carefully to what they say about why they don't like him, then consider it. But thankfully my parents love my SO, so problem solved. ;)

• My own parents don't even like me, so why would I give a damn if they didn't like someone I was dating? Lol.

I've never had a problem with someone else's parents not liking me, so I wouldn't know what to do in that situation. I've had a few friends whose mothers didn't like me, but their fathers did, so I was still allowed to hang out with them.

• Depends on why and the level of animosity. If either weren't really a fan because of past behaviour but tried not to show it then I wouldn't end it.
    If it was irrational dislike or they were really obvious about it then I probably would - I want my family to get along and for us to be able to be together without negative feelings

• Yes I would. Family is very important to me and I also trust their opinions. If you family didn't like a guy I was dating it wouldn't be without reason.

• No. I'M dating him/her, not my parents. That's the only reason I need. Yes, family is important, but so is my individual happiness.

• I would, I want my family to be happy, I want everyone to love eachother. I don't want any wars, fakeness, gossiping, lies etc. If his parents didn't like me then I'd most likely break up with him, I just couldn't stand being disliked like that and if my family didn't like him I would have to leave him with a heavy heart. It is said to be a bad idea to stay in a relationship where the families do not like eachother or the spouse.

• Depends but I wouldn't if my parents point of disproval is based on insignificant things. I would if they point out he is jobless and addictive. But even then I think I would stay with him until I realize it by myself

• It depends on why

• I am currently contemplating a break up because my current boyfriend really doesn't have or want to have a future (a job, a house etc), where as I am a very driven person and so far I am doing fairly well. Logically my parents don't like him and he won't try to change, and since he doesn't treat me too well (e. g. a birthday present has a 0.0000003% of happening, he is aggressive etc.), I am afraid that mine and his relationship will soon be terminated. Please do bear in mind that if someone treats you well and actually loves you, your position shouldn't be as extreme. Also be realistic and account for how much you rely on your parents both emotionally, financially and any other way and compare that to your partner so, worst case scenario, if your parents disown you, can he be there, really there, for you?

• Well before getting into relationship, I would see if my parents approves or not.

In that way, no one gets hurt

• no... plain and simple

• No, although my parents asked me to break up with my fiance. The only reason they don't like him is because he isn't Arab. He treats me incredibly well, respects me and my family, and is smart with a good job.

• Hell no. The only reason we would break up is if we both agreed to it. Our relationship is with each other not the families.

• Why are people breaking up because of their parents opinions? Love is love and can fight for it if you really love them anything can work.

• It depends on why they dont like him. For example, no one in my inner corcld liked my ex becuase he was a bit of a snob and better than you type of person. If any time they meet there's a lot of tension, I would break up.

• To be honest I would love if everybody loves each other 😌😌 but then i would not break up or anything without trying to make it good between everyone first.

• If you really love someone and they really love you a breakup shouldn't be caused for those reasons

• yes. if the parent don't like you then they won't respect you and you always deserve respect

• I don't give a damn about my parents or their opinion. I don't plan on having a strong relationship with them in the future so the only issue would be if his parents didn't like me and how important their opinion is in his life. In the beginning everyone says oh yeah I would date you either way, but once things get serious down the line it becomes a problem if he really values what they think and wants to please them.

• It depends on the reason. Family is really important to me so if his parents didn't like me, I would feel ultra bad (Unless it's for a dumb reason then lol. Fruitcakes for Christmas, every Christmas) and leave it up to him. If he wants me to stay then I'll fight for it as well. If not, then... who am I to come between a child and his parents.
    If my parents didn't like him, then he must be two-faced awful, because my parents are actually very blase about who I date. They literally just want me to date, period. So he would have had to do something grossly offense towards them for them to hate him and if I find out it's true and he did it on purpose, then yeah, I'm leaving him.

• All depends on if he valued the opinion of his not only his family but his friends and if none of them liked me? I wouldn't do it but I'd push him away so that'd he'd do it

• My parents liked all but one of my boyfriends.. They warned me about him and so did another person I call Mom. I think they know me pretty well.. I didn't break up with him immediately, but I'm glad I did. The rest of my exes I'm great with, but that one was just not a good one, and my folks knew.. So I don't know, I trust their instinct and would break up with him if my folks don't like him lol

• No I would not.

What Guys Said 4

• Yes of course cause I am puss puss whipped.

• I will try my best to convince the parents. If I cannot do it alone, I will ask help from my and her siblings.

• Of course not, it's nothing to do with them