Engaged after nearly a year of dating?

One of my close friends is 29 and his bride to be is 27. They just got engaged after almost a year of dating. They seem to really have connected and love each other very much.

But what are your thoughts on them getting engaged after almost a year of dating?

• Too Soon
  • Good Timing

What Guys Said 14

• I don't think that's too soon. If anything I think people take too much time these days and are a little more commitment-phobic. And then their relationships still go to shit. Meanwhile, people who've gotten married within 3 months can end up staying with each other forever.

• 18d

Exactly.

I think some people also feel like they "aren't allowed" to propose sooner, or say I love you sooner, or move in together sooner because society has told them that's too soon. Friends or family butt in to give their 2 cents etc.
      Like in this case, judging still.

These people could just know! I've seen people around the 7-11month mark, just know that that's who they want. And then get engaged later on though.

• Way too soon. I would need at least 3 years before getting married, I don't want a divorce, and certainly not have kids who will have parents that are separated, so I have to be 100% sure she's the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.

• seems to quick to me

• I always thought the final hurdle in a relationship was the 3 year mark. Something about how after 3 years a couple will have a full understanding of what's to come for their future together. It's a shame that they may not even know if they are truly compatible until roughly a year into their marriage. Oh well. I wish them the best! :)

• they are in their late twenties. its normal

people mature in their mid twentites so, if they get engaged before mid twenties would conscern me more in my opinion;

• @ElissaDido your all about short engagements care to share?

• I understand falling head-over-heels for somebody... but that seems a bit soon!

• for me personally, i wouldn't be comfortabe with that, but if they are happy with it, more power to them.

• Too soon in my opinion. Then again, I don't know them so perhaps it was a good decision for them

• That is somewhat quick to get married

• good luck on the divorce

• 18d

My parents got engaged and married after knowing eachother for only a year and they have been happily married for over 20 years now. It can happen. Ofcourse the new generation is different and most people give up on someone way too fast nowadays instead of working things out and trying to understand eachother, which was not the same way back then.

• I was with someone for 9 months and got engaged, engagement went past 5 years because I wanted to see how bad it got and she got controlling so I walked away

• stupid kids

• He's going to get divorce raped. Too short a time most people still keep up the mask over a year. You really wan tot know if this person is the right one, then date them at minimum 3 years.

What Girls Said 21

• The timing doesn't matter! What matters is that if you both know that this is what you want, is very certain you want to live the rest of your life with them, GO FOR IT! Just get married, and don't string each other along! You know how long my close friend and her now husband dated? 1.5 years and they got married this June. Both of them are happy that they did. Less than a year is more than enough time to know whether or not you two want to marry! Don't pay attention to anybody who tells you otherwise. This is YOUR life, YOUR marriage decision, and YOUR relationship. If you two want to do that, go do it. That's what advice I say for your friend.

• I know lots of older couples who had quick marriages where they met and married within 3 months. They had lots of problems later in marriage but some are still together.

It really depends how fast and well they get to know each other and what they are both looking for in a marriage.

Arranged marriages don't even meet until wedding days or *maybe* slightly before that, and they make it work.

• Seems a little soon to me, but then again, I got engaged after 4 years and 10 months of dating. And I'm weird.

I know lots of people who get married after that period of time. Plus they're older. They know what they want to do.

• I know a couple who met in a train and got married two weeks later. Love at first sight.
    I know another couple who started dating around Christmas and got engaged on Valentine's day. Not so much for love on her part, but both couples are still married.
    To each their own.

• Everyone is different - if they feel that's enough time then it must be right for them. I got engaged after 4 years, my grandparents got engaged after 6 weeks.

• I think a year is fine. Also, they are on the older side of couples getting married/dating, which means they most likely have their lives together. I think if you know what you want from life and are established in a job/as a person, you may not have to date as long as someone who is 21 and doesn't have those things figured out.

• A year is fine. It may seem soon to some because they're still figuring themselves out. But once you've figured yourself out and are in a generally good place job-wise you don't need much time. That's usually the case with older couples. I've noticed the older they are, the less time they need. It also depends on the intensity they knew each other over that time.

• I think that's too soon personally, especially because I've seen teenage relationships last longer than that and then end terribly, but who am I to judge if I don't know them personally.

• My sister was engaged in less than a year I do believe

• Sometimes people doesn't need to date for certain amount of time to get engaged or married.
    You can just know that he/she is the one

• It's ok, I know people who get married after 2 week of dating and they are still together. Time doesn't mean much

• Well it took me three years to become engaged, and a further two years before getting married.
    I must add though, that we did live together for all of those five years before we married.

• That's how I plan on doing it

• I think one year of dating is definitely not enough to make a life-long committment

• It's ok. At least a year is the standard

• I think it's fine. How much longer do you need to get to know someone lol?

• It does't really matter. They could be engaged and get married in 4 years. Just because they are engaged, does;t mean that they have to get married right away (or within a year).

• Way too soon. In my opinion, it takes 2 years before you truly know if you want to spend your life together and 3-4 to make sure if spending your life together is actually a good idea.

• Everyone is different.

• I think it's fine. Everyone is different, if they feel ready then more power to them. I've been with my boyfriend for 6 years and still no ring. I also know a girl who just got engaged after A MONTH.

• There's no too soon/good timing. Every couple is different.
    If you talking about average, too soon.
    but plenty couples engaged sooner and they stay married forever.. vice versa.