Is it possible to be in love with someone, and not want to be with them right now?

I'm in love with my ex, but we're not together at the moment due to distance. Even if we had the chance to be together, I don't think I could be with him right now, because I don't want to be tied down, and don't see myself being serious with anyone right now. Is it possible to be in love, but have it not be the right time to be with them?

What Guys Said 1

• No, you're just not in love with him. And it's a good thing you're a female, because if you were a guy saying this, I would accuse you of being a jerk because all you really want is to have the girl around as an option later while you go nail lots of random women.

• 15d

How am I not in love with him? I do have strong feelings for him, but I'm not ready to share myself with someone yet. Plus, we're in different countries right now.

• 15d

Who said I wanted to date other men? I want to be able to do things for myself, work on my career, and put effort into that. Also, even if I wanted to date around, it wouldn't be anything serious. Breaking up with him has been really hard for me, I don't want to go through heartbreak again.

• 15d

Ok, fine you're in love with him! Fortunately for the rest of the couples in the world, their partners don't love them so much that they don't want to be with them.

What Girls Said 1

• Absolutely, it's possible! It's happening to you. You are sacrificing your love life for your career or studies I'm assuming? It's not an easy decision but it's not like y'all were married or anything. You shouldn't feel guilty for perusing your dreams at this stage in life.
    It's more common than you think. I've known couples who got back together and others who figured out that they didn't quite belong. You will always have a special place in each other's hearts but y'all chose to broke up and not do long distance for a reason.