Would you date someone who has a "controversial" tattoo?

Okay, so I live in a rural southern area. If you don't like sweet tea, guns, and country music, you won't fit in. However for the most part we aren't racist, or homophobic or anything. (I say for the most part, because you'll find those sorts of people everywhere.) That said, we have pride. And a lot of it. It's common for people to have the confederate flag hanging in our yards, I myself have multiple shirts with that Dixie flag as the main design.

That said, I know a lot of people think of it as some flag of oppression and all that. (Though to us it's just pride in our southern heritage), And well, my boyfriend has the flag tattooed on his arm. Sorta. He has this tattoo of some sort of gun (he told me what the "specific" gun it was supposed to be, but to me it's "gun".) Only instead of it being black or something, inside the gun is the confederate flag design. Personally I think it's a stupid tattoo, but I'm not offended by it. He got it several years ago, before he even met me.

• Yes, I would, even if it's stupid
  • No, I wouldn't
  • Other
  • I just want to see results

What Guys Said 7

• It's not like it's a swastika or Waffen SS logo... up until recently it meant people from the South who were proud of being from the South. It meant something to him and unless he is actively out being racist and wants to get racist tattoos (and by that I mean overtly racist) then I don't see a problem.

Are we going to ban the Dukes of Hazzard next because General Lee had the Confederate Flag on the roof and was named after a CSA general?

• 11d

See and he's not racist at all. I mean there are absolutely people that he dislikes, and has no issue with voicing such dislike, but it's nothing to do with their race, and everything to do with his opinion of them as a human being 😂

~Still though it's such a stupid tattoo... not the fact it's confederate... but it's a flag design... inside an obscure gun... that most people don't know what is... so it basically looks like some mutated shape with a flag in it -face palm-

• 11d

meatballs21 saved me from having to comment. If you want to know how I feel, simply read his reply.

Having said that - the world is a better place in general withOUT tattoos. But I suppose that's a whole OTHER "controversy."

• As a black American, that's an automatic dealbreaker.

• Depends what part of the body it's on for me. I have no problem with what the tattoo says

• Nope

• absolutely not, have some fucking class

• I wouldn't date someone with or without a controversial tattoo because I'm asexual/aromantic.

• depends. i'm not American and i even know why the CSA seceded, read up on your own "heritage"...

that said, it wouldn't bother me that much.

What Girls Said 2

• hi, out of interest being from the uk, please excuse any ignorance here, so confederate to me is parts of southern america in history who fought against the slavery and had a war with the northern states, across the seas here i would say it is still represented often in southern states there is a strong element of racism and less forward forgiving views lets say on gay marriage etc, dont get me wrong i appreciate what you said about everywhere, in the uk exactly the same, i think we are perhaps more hypocritical actually and are unforgiving under our breath. as for the tattoo, im interested why you ask as i would assume in your own area it wouldn't be an issue as such? if i dated a man with an offensive tattoo that he had from the past and was past that i suppose i wouldn't maybe be happy for him to show it off in public with me if it was likely to cause problems and maybe would look into covering if that bad but thats relevant for any bad tat or one even about an ex lets say... what does this flag mean to you and your society? xx

• 11d

Well that's what people SAY about the south. It's sort of the public perception that keeps this view on southerners going, and it's far from the truth. Now we'll totally say some insulting shit to your face and then be like "Bless you're heart" with a smile. THAT, is a real thing. But racist/homophobic, nope. In the past it was bad, I'll admit that, but now a days if you're gay it's just "Mkay, don't try to convert me, but we're cool" like we don't care as long as we're not brought into it. And the tattoo isn't a problem in my area, there are A LOT of people with confederate tattoos. It's just a thing, but I lived up north for a few months years ago (worst two months of my life, NEVER going back.) and I did meet a few people who I added on facebook and recently saw one of them very passionately getting angry about someone THEY say with a confederate tattoo they basically said because it automatically meant they were racist and closed minded.

• 11d

so that view of the south is almost racist in itself actually... xx i think a tat of an ex or exes name would probably be the most difficult for me to cope with xx

• I think as long as they're a good person and their reasoning for having the tattoo is sound, or their interpretation of the tattoo isn't meant to offend, then yea I don't care. I would date them

• 11d

His reasoning in his exact words, try to imagine it in a deep southern accent: "I thought it'd be cool."

• 11d

Haha well maybe it's just his southern pride