Can a heartbreak cause depression?

After my breakup I'm just not the same person anymore, I have a really really hard time trusting any guy or opening up to them which sucks and in general I'm just not as happy as I used to be, I lack emotional depth and all I feel is numbness. Not to mention that I now find myself repulsive and regardless of how many times people call me beautiful it just doesn't make the wound of his hurtful words any less painful. I guess part of this hurt is that for the first time in my life, I really trusted someone and now he's having fun with other women while I'm a mess here.

Anyways do you think heartbreaks can cause all this to happen? It's been almost a year and I'm tired of feeling like a zombie.

14d Hurts

Most Helpful Guy

• It most definitely can. I know it's hard to believe given the way that you're feeling right now, but in time, you'll get over it. I know it hurts when someone breaks your trust and they've moved on but you gotta remember that this will make you stronger in the long run.

What Guys Said 1

• Yes heartbreaks can definitely cause all of this & more. Losing someone you care & love so deeply is something that's impossible to say exactly how it's going to affect someone.

It's been over a year for my breakup & I still struggle with the depression/motivation issues today.

What Girls Said 1

• It can and will. Its not your fault.