My boyfriend is being really clingy and I don't know what to do?

He won't go anywhere without me, he won't even meet his friends unless i'm there with him. He's always trying to hold my hand and hug me and be near me and it's slightly annoying because i think in a relationship you should be able to do things on your own and have space when it's needed. Should i say something or will that annoy him and hurt his feelings?

What Guys Said 4

• It will annoy him and hurt his feelings and he loves you. I recognize these symptoms. At the same time, you should be able to have some freedom without him. So, for awhile, either:
    1. Do some "girls only" activities.
    2. Get him to things without you or his friends. Maybe study more or go shopping or promote a hobby or whatever.
    In both of these instances, what is important is he gets used to the idea of having to live without you while still being in a relationship with you.

That said, from experience, I will tell you the following:
    1. You may create a monster. For instance, if your boyfriend becomes into computer games, he may become an addict and you will become a gamer widow. (http://gamerwidow. com/)
    2. Once you have that space, you might actually then begin to want to be with someone else and eventually dump your boyfriend leaving him heartbroken. For you though, you MAY meet a better guy, but you might not and, years later, realize that you threw away a man who genuinely loved you... all because you needed space.
    The bottom line is the old adage: Be careful what you wish for; you just might get it.

• i think you should try and find a nice way to tell him that you feel like he is a bit clingy yes. being overly clingy in a relationship really isn't healthy and could ultimately be a cause for things to go south

• Just have a heart-to-heart talk with him about it and get it out of the way. He may not even realize that he's doing it.

• just talk to him about that

What Girls Said 3

• "i think in a relationship you should be able to do things on your own and have space when it's needed."
    Tell him this. That you are happy with the relationship but as a person you just need "personal time" once in a while. If he has issues with it or worries that you are going to cheat or something ridiculous like that, then point out that this is his insecurity speaking. You have done nothing that is suspicious (I'm assuming) and wanting time alone to recharge is a completely normal thing. Being distrustful when your partner has done nothing is unhealthy. Both for the person with the insecurity and for the relationship.

If you have a need it's important to communicate with your partner so that you can both work out how to make sure each person's needs are fulfilled. Poor communication will just leave people feeling resentful or oblivious about their partner's unhappiness. Nobody is a mind reader.

• It's the honeymoon phase, it's normal. You're his drug of the moment and he can't get enough; but you need to make your own personal desires known from the very beginning. Letting shit go all of the time can cause resentment.

Just tell him that you love spending time with him but you need personal space, that you two can have your own lives and still be a strong couple.

• You can't just sacrifice your needs just to spare his feelings, the relationship will only end badly, tell him you love him but you BOTH need your life outside of each other and thats okay.