How do you know if a first date went well?

I haven't dated in years, so I can't tell if one has gone well. I'm not really looking for a relationship right now, so I'm fine with having a little fun. This guy had listed online that he wasn't looking "to date, but nothing serious." Anyway, we went on a date yesterday. We went to the first location and played some games for a couple hours. Then we went on a walk around the neighborhood. Then we went to a bar to talk some more. All night he was acting very gentlemanly-which is foreign to me. ie-picking up the tab, holding doors, picking up my purse while I was putting on my jacket, etc. When we were leaving the bar, he gave me what I thought was a goodnight kiss, but then he invited me back to his place (which I was fine with). We went back to his place and talked a bit more. Then he asked permission to kiss me again, which I gave him. We started making out a bit, but then he stopped and said he thought it was moving too fast. He said he usually likes to take things slower. He told me I was welcome to stay if I wanted to, but he hadn't had sex in a year. Then he asked what I wanted to do. I said I was enjoying his company, but I was fine with leaving if he wanted to get to bed. (Date started at 730, and it was about 12 at that time). Then he asked me what I like and don't like for sex. He then showed me some videos that he had filmed for his company. We talked for a bit longer and then around 1 he said he really needed to get to bed, and I left. He walked me to the elevator and I told him I was fine getting out by myself. He hugged me goodbye and said he'd call (which I thought was odd-who calls anymore?) Then he texted me asking to text him when I got home safe.

Why would he invite me back to his place if he didn't want sex? Did he decide that he wasn't that into me? I haven't heard from him today, but I understand that it's a holiday. Should I be concerned that he's not into me? Is anything a bad sign or was this a good first date? I'm clueless

What Guys Said 2

• Was there anything that happened out of the ordinary when you guys were making out?

• 9d

Not really. He kept his hands to "safe areas" and didn't try anything... that was a bit odd to me

• 9d

Well maybe he's just a gentleman, I know that's rare, but they do exist. He may have just invited you up because he felt it was the polite thing to do and that he wanted to actually just make out. Guys do enjoy kissing too. Give him time, I know when we don't understand something that someone does in a relationship type setting we become eager and want answers right away, but that eagerness can make it worse. So just wait a few days before calling or texting. He might be using that 3 day rule, so he doesn't seem too eager.

• Sounds very respectable, acted the way I would, I think he wanted to show some respect and not sleep with you on the first date and take it slow, I don't see any bad things here so I think you're fine and should get a second

What Girls Said 1

• It sounds like a good date to me. Maybe he wants to show you that his intentions are serious and he doesn't want just to get laid with you.