Do guys say mean things out of retaliation?

For the past month, I have been 'talking' to a PT at the Gym.
It was his idea to start 'talking'. We went on a date couple of weeks ago -- slowly I have stopped speaking to him. Yesterday he randomly messaged me to see how I was doing (we have seen each other at the gym but don't really talk as he is training clients). Today, I saw him at the GYm and decided to go up to him and say 'hi' then he complimented me saying 'you are looking good' and I responded 'I am not doing it for you' (which I really regret saying, only said it as he was being super cocky in our convo) and then what hurt was him saying "I don't want you anyway"...

I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but it does. Just wanted to know if he would have meant it or it was just his response to what I had said...

7d When I get complimented I just shut my mouth and say 'thanks' I don't know why I was being rude.
7d Just to put this in more perspective - yesterday he had texted me as mentioned saying how I am crazy in a good way and how he likes that because I am different like him.

What Guys Said 3

• Yes he was just saying it out of retaliation, I think you hurt his feelings and if his friends heard that, it probably even embarrassed him a bit too. Tell him exactly what you said here that you appreciated his compliment and you're not sure why you responded the way you did. Tell him your response was meant to be playful, but you understand it didn't come out exactly like that, and that you're sorry about it coming out wrong

• He may have really meant that. We don't know though. He said that though as a way to imply that he's kind of better than you anyway or at least not interested (which we don't know if he really meant). I don't think that it was wrong that you said you aren't trying to look good for him. You aren't perfect.

• so you can say mean things and he kicked you back.. and you are more hurt
    see that's why first punch is important but don't guarantee winning 😂😂
    butt burnt

What Girls Said 2

• It sounds like it was just a response to what you had said. The fact that he complimented you says he found you attractive. The only reason he responded that way was because his ego was hurt it looks like.

• Lol so then don't be rude to him.
    If you like him that is.
    If you don't like him then throw jam at his socks and run.