Why would a guy be extremely offended by being called cheap?

I jokingly said I sense cheapness when a guy I am dating went into detail about how he basically counts every penny.
It had nothing to do with something he bought for me or anything

What Guys Said 10

• I think cheapness was probably the wrong word. Being careful with money doesn't necessarily imply cheapness. I would imagine that people like Bill Gates probably value every penny, hence why they end up rich.

That said, I wouldn't take it seriously if someone that I liked said that. I'd take it in good humour. To get offended would be a bit over the top.

I'm not that super careful I have to say, I believe that money should be utilised. Yes, you need to take care of your bills and necessary expenses but you also need to enjoy life because it can be all too short. There's no point saving for some hypothetical rainy day that you might never get to see. I've lost too many people along the way to live life like it's guaranteed.

• Maybe he's self-conscious about his financial situation when it comes to what he thinks women expect. The economy is still tough for a lot of people and there's no shame in having to "count every penny." It's actually a good thing that he does, because if he didn't care about being financially responsible that would be a lot worse.

• Because women admire men who spend lots of money on them.

Suppose you know that women like guys with a normal BMI and you called a guy fat. It is sort of like that.

• I think a guy shouldn't be telling a woman he is dating or went out with
    about saving money and how he counts every penny that could make a
    girl feel the guy is hinting around to her and it could make her feel upset
    about it. Maybe i am wrong here or confused about this too.

• I wouldn't be offended I am cheap, I use coupons I spend my money carefully and I save my money and am careful with it I try to buy things cheaply etc, part of growing up with very little money and knowing the value of a dollar.

• Damn, I throw pennies at people and refuse to take them. They're worthless. lol

• 8d

Pennies aren't worthless but a lot of people are lol

• 8d

@Nelsoen Who collects pennies? They hold little to no value since they're mostly zinc inside and aren't even worth the effort to oick up off the sidewalk. Kind of like collecting cans for deposits. Pennies are disease laden coins that should be abolished since they just weigh down your pocket and have little buying power.

Can't argue with the people statement.

• It depends on the guy. I take that as a compliment.

• He could be like me. My brother calls me cheap to be annoying. It's something you get tiered of.

• he's offended because he is cheap.. if he wasn't cheap he wouldn't care..

• Because so many women are so concerned about how much money a guy has, that the slightest hint at that makes a lot of guys angry and not like the woman anymore.

• 8d

Ok. I'm no concerned with how much he makes, but that makes sense

What Girls Said 2

• That's about the equivalent of a woman getting called catcalled. A guy might be asking why would getting hit on a lot and even called sexy would offend us too. Well we're used to that too many times that it's annoying.

Same thing... I can't imagine how many times a guy is asked for what he works and how much he earns that they're used to that so much that it's irritating.

• Yeah, he might take offense from that even if said jokingly.