Would you date an overly religious person? If they are not judge mental or a feminist, and want to wait for marriage and live a simple life?

I am talking about going to church every week, No drinking, Parting, Swearing, No touching or kissing till marriage. I also don't want to be alone with a guy always need to be in public, to protect my purity.

Most Helpful Guy

• I had a very negative experience with this throughout my formative years. I would be engaged right now if I had had the gumption to commit to what I wanted, instead of trailing the woman I loved along through a long, brutal process of trying to win over my ignorant, bigoted evangelical Christian parents.

Things are very shaky between them and I these days, and my sister has since moved in with me. While she was never as judgmental as my parents, she is herself very religious, and I find myself keeping quiet or changing the subject whenever it comes up. I think it would crush her to know I don't really believe this stuff anymore, and the harsh treatment our parents exhibited towards the woman I loved was a huge factor that prodded me away, on top of all the other preexisting objections I had accumulated over the years. Pretty sure my parents would disown me if they knew, I've been told as such mote than once. Scared s**tless to introduce another woman to them at any point in the future. Given that I only just quietly tolerate a lot of their rhetoric I can't say I'd want to be permanently partnered with someone like that.

With all of that established, though, none of this means there aren't men out there who would be happy to share what you're offering and give the same in turn. I thought I had found that with I****am. I'd give anything to take back what happened. I'd give anything to go back to the day she proposed to me and say yes instead. I've been a self-loathing shell of a person ever since she walked out of my life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm a serious Christian, but I'm not dating someone who won't touch me. I need to be affectionate. To me, affection is for all relationships, even close friends, so why would the person I'm considering marrying not hug/cuddle me? I'm not someone to tell people to compromise their beliefs, but consider talking to your pastor or someone about maintaining boundaries by dating instead of being totalitarian.

0/2500

Send It!

What Guys Said 33

• The simple life I could go for, the other part I'm not so sure. Back when I did go to church several days a week my pastor told me a situation of a couple he helped mentor and the lengths he went to help them wait for marriage and I don't think I could do it to be honest. I suppose if I were in that situation I'd need the same structure and guidance he gave them.

• no touching or kissing... there was a time when I would be ok with that. once get started, that may be difficult to really bond and move the relationship forward. you are young, so there may be guys out there that would do that.

• Depends on a lot. If we really connect on a really deep level, and are madly deeply in love, but otherwise no, probably not.

• Umm, it depends on how bad I wanted her. As an atheist she would almost have to look like a goddess and I'd hope the fact she was a virgin wouldn't detract from her willingness to learn (some are more stubborn about what they will and won't do in bed). Above all else if she was constantly and persistently trying to convert me to her religion I'd probably lose my mind if I didn't leave. I'd probably humor her and go with her to her church but probably wouldn't ever actually believe the same things she did. i certainly didn't with my last girlfriend (who into Wicca, that I dumped because she cheated on me with her ex, not because of the weird things she believed).

• No, that sounds incredibly boring and I have yet to meet the first overly religious person who is not judgmental.

• No, sorry.

• Nope... I get to test drive the car before I buy it.

• Actually, I did wait once... 17 months of no sex. Then she dumped me shredding my heart for what is now almost 25 years. So, in principle, I'd wait (after all, I did), but I want to seal the deal.
      And I don't want to hear about Jesus or anyone else - you can go to church, but I'm not.

• well the no kissing or touching till marriage is a little extreme, but i'm very religious and i don't plan on having sex until marriage. i'd still love to date and do all the fun things couples do. hopefully you get the idea that religious people like me aren't all boring lol

• Nope, I'll never make that mistake again.

• Date, yes, marry no.

• Never.

• yeah ı would respect her

• Nope.
    In my experience, this would not be a healthy minded individual.
    Religion is eventually closeminded and judgmental at somepoint.

• No I would not

• No kissing/touching is a little off-putting, but it could still work.

What do you mean by touching? As in, no cuddling? Or no "feeling"? Because I personally draw the line at feeling :P

• Absolutely not, can you say BASIC BITCH?

• Everything else was fine until the no touching or kissing😫

• No I would not and it's because I'm aromantic/asexual.

• I have no problems with the things in your description but religion is a dealbraker for me.

• As long as she is Jewish

• Nope. That is a major dealbreaker.

• Maybe I almost don't care who I date unless later I regret it

• no, because our beliefs will clash (me being atheist)

• definitely: no

• Noooooooo. I want to try before i buy!

• Im sorry but you had me until the no touching, no kissing or no being together privately.

• Of course I would

• Debatable, if she looks gorgeous enough I can't say no

• YES!

• I wouldn't call that overly religious. But yeah, maybe, it really depends.

• More from Guys
    3

What Girls Said 6

• Who's to say what is "overly" religious? Personally, I will only date someone of the same faith as me, since I want us to be compatible in that way, but I think if you believe something, you should live by it. For someone to expect you to live a different life than your religion teaches is to expect you to be lazy and complacent. I don't want anyone that doesn't practice what they preach

• Them going to church and not drinking or partying or swearing is fine. The no touching or kissing or only meeting in public isn't fine, I'm not going to agree to that.

• ı am like that

• yeah

• I mean, it would be extremely difficult, but I think if I loved them enough I could.

• I'm a strong Christian, and I agree with everything except no touching. I would like my boyfriend to be affectionate, so that means I would like him to hug me, hold my hand, and cuddle with me. Nothing past that though.