Friends say it was a date, he told me 'thanks for hanging out'. Not sure how to read him now. So was it a date? Or is he losing interest & changing?

I am 30 and have 2 kids. I haven't been on a date in almost 4 years. A guy friend who I've known for a year but from a distance (not really close friends) asked me if I wanted to go do something the other night. I said yes not thinking much of it. He picked me up from home, we went to dinner and a movie, he paid for everything, opened doors, etc, real gentleman. We talked about all kinds of stuff and then he walked me to my door and left with a hug (my sister who was watching my kids was right there so it was awkward). We had been texting for about a week before this, and when I thanked him later he said it was an awesome time and hoped to do it again. We've been texting since, no more than usual. Except today when we mentioned the movie we saw that night and he said "thanks for hanging out that night." It threw me off because my sisters and friends said it was definitely a date even if he didn't call it that. But then he said "hanging out", which makes me think he really isn't all that interested but just wanted friendly company and is naturally nice. Dating is foreign to me right now, I'm very traditional and cannot read signals to save my life. He hasn't mentioned a second date (if that's what it was) but it's only been 3 days since we went out, aside from saying he hoped to do it again. But if he said hanging out, it's not really a date to him is it? Just friends enjoying the company?

What Guys Said 2

• it was a date and you can text him too uk about a second date you dont have to wait for him to ask if you want to see him again

• Or just isn't in the mood to race things. And maybe wants more than just your imput if it goes as far as dating. I mean he obviously might be hesitant of jumping to dating. For a lot of guys now a days just being able to chill with a girl is cool cause. Really the most scary thing for lots of guys is the commitment.

What Girls Said 1

• Honestly I'm very young and might not have too much experience on this. But my intuition tells me that he has a reason to be "hanging out" with you. Additionally, I noticed that he made formal plans, and that he does hope to do it again.

If he really does get serious about the second "date", and he actually tries to make plans for that one, it's a sure sign he's trying to be more than just a friend. Reading the signs, it's kind of like he's going out of his way to be a gentleman to you during that time.

If he seems serious about continuing to "hang out" with you, I'm sure that they can be considered dates.