Why does he still want to be friends?

I'm married with a divorce filed still sitting at the courthouse waiting for processing. My crush I guess has a college girlfriend and they been together for 2 months. I secretly liked him before he got a girlfriend, but hide it real well and he didn't know. A month into his relationship, he found out I like him. He flirts with me and it seems like he likes me back too. I always tell myself he now has a girlfriend but one day it got pretty hot and heavy and we ended up having sex. We still talk like normal a few days afterwards then suddenly he told me that he didn't feel right doing this to his girlfriend, and that he needs to respect her more, and he wishes it never happen. He wants us to be just friends we can flirt but no sex. I told him no I don't think being just friend with him will save my heart from breaking, it'll just make the pain worst. But he begs me to please be friends with him he promises he really cares about me and don't want us to be strangers. I finally said yes we can be friends. I'm confused as to why he want to be friends still of he isn't gonna date me? And I don't even know if it's a good decision to stay friends with him because it'll jusy break my heart more. But deep down I really don't want us to be strangers either. I really do like him a lot still.

What Guys Said 1

• This isn't rocket science. He's keeping you on the back burner so he has you as a backup plan when things sour with his current girlfriend. The thing is you know he's a cheating bottom feeder so how would you ever trust him or do you just not give a fuck?

• 10d

But he did said he regrets the cheating part. I think he's a nice guy. Or else why would he say no more sex then?
      Are you sure he's just keeping me there as a backup? Cuz I honestly don't know why else he want to be friends for?

• 9d

I would dumb his ass if I'm his girlfriend.
      But since I'm not her I don't care.
      Don't wanna sound mean or anything but it's his girlfriend not mine, and he chooses to cheat on her. It's not my business to make sure he doesn't cheat on her.

• 9d

Fucking someone that you know is taken makes you a scumbag in my opinion

What Girls Said 2

• Along with your own Sticky Situation of "I'm married with a divorce Filed..." And his own Sappy One, hun, he Cares enough to Want to remain Friends for Now Somehow but deep down, I think he may be wishing that something More in Store could Happen once you are Free.
    I think that with his Own at Home Alone, if he really Cared about her, he would End it with You and Stay with her but right at the moment, he is unsure of anything but Death and Taxes.
    It's your Call and All if you will stay Friends to the Ends, but Regardless of Anything, just go Slow with Joe. xx

• He wants to keep you around as a second option if things do not work out with his ex. Basically, you're the side-chick.