What exactly defines a date?

Exactly what makes a outing between 2 people a date vs just hanging out? Example would be person A asks person B to do or see something fun with them a few days in advance.

What Girls Said 7

• Does it really matter going in? What matters is whether there is mutual chemistry coming out. Hang out... enjoy their company as a person... and maybe something kicks off and maybe something doesn't. My boyfriend and I went to a concert together... completely and mutually platonically going in. And coming out... there was definite mutual interest... at which point we made a date 2 days later for Sunday. Que sera sera. What will be will be.

• I'm a student in Nigeria and currently there is a serious recession so for me a date would be hanging out with someone I have romantic intentions with and returns the interest. We could even be studying together... as long we're around each other it's a date.

No need for fancy stuff... I react to most foreign foods either way.

• This is also what I've been wondering. I mean, I usually think that if the intention is not to see whether we would be romantically compatible, then it's not a date. But then the guys I've actually been on dates with never call them "dates". Even if they later on made a move, meaning wanting for it to go somewhere. And I have met someone to hookup with, we went out for coffee and cake first, and he called that a date when for me it wasn't, because I had no romantic intentions with him. Only sexual. So I'm just as confused. Also, during hanging out, I have had a guy friend pay for me. And on what in my mind were dates, I have paid for myself. So the paying rule doesn't hold up either.

• I say anything can be a date as long as it's agreed beforehand that it is in fact a date. No asking a girl/guy to hang out and then saying "we went on a date". Also hanging out usually avoids romantic settings - like candle lit anything and boat ride whatever.

• What defines it is defining it as a date and not just hanging out. Lol.

• it is hard to tell apart

• if u meet to know each other closer for a relationship

What Guys Said 13

• i think it´s a "date" if you make an appointment to meet a person to get to know them with the ultimate intention to get with them. if you already know them and just casually spend some time, it´s "hanging out".

so basically it comes down to the intention of evolving your relationship to a commited one. if you just want tot stay on the same level you are now, it´s hanging out. if you wanna improve, it´s dating.

• Is there romantic intent? Then it's a date.

• if u have feelings for each other

• A dictionary... couldn't help myself. I guess if you see it as a date, it's a date

• If the 2 are trying get to know each other better and have romantic intention with each other. There might be the possibility of kissing or sex.

• DD/MM/YYYY

• A 'date' is a girl and a guy doing something together. If you're not wanting to jump her bones what the hell are you doing with her anyway? Your guy friends would be a lot more fun. Don't be a beta orbiter.

• 5d

wow. aren't you just a tiiiny bit (by that I mean waaayy) too old to be using all that alpha beta bullshit and thinking the way a teenage boy would?

• 4d

@TheDevilInside No, not at all, why would you say that? Old does not mean dead. LOL
      Don't worry honey, you'll get there before you know it. :)

• The act of going out and getting to know one another with the intention of starting a relationship

• I think it's gotta be mutually understood. So saying it is a date is the best way

• The girl expecting a French kiss or more?

• When the guy pays for everything.

• 1. both have to feel comfortable with thinking it's a date or if others see it that way
    2. it's more a date if only one pays for everything

• context and intent.

Are you asking what the difference is or how to tell or how to signal whether it's a date or not?