Do all first loves end badly?

I have been reading a lot of posts on this site about first loves, and have come across a lot of unsuccessful stories. This scares me a great deal as I am in love myself with my boyfriend. We both turn 18 this year and are about to leave high school. He is definitely my first ever love and vice versa, but ever since reading these posts about first loves, I've been feeling nervous about us. Are we bound to break up badly, or is there hope? I really would like to hear some success stories as well.

Most Helpful Girl

• My first love was when I was 17, Junior year of my high school in Texas. He was older than I was, so he left to college before me. We stayed together for about a year and then broke it off because of distance. But we stayed as friends and kept in touch. We were there for each other when we needed someone the most. I think that's how we became so close. He ended up moving to NY. One summer, he came to visit me. We hit it off again. Now, 3 years later, I am in NY living with him. We just got a Siberian Husky puppy together. We are VERY happy.

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. Don't worry about the negatives and just enjoy what you have right now. You never know what's going to happen next :)

What Guys Said 3

• For the most part, it isn't whether they end badly, it is simply that they end. I don't think that people get enough experience from a single lover and it takes experience to begin to recognize what is important to you and what really matters. Even if you find the perfect person on the first shot, how do you know that?

• Yeah that makes sense...thanx

• You are in high school. You both are still growing up and defining yourselves. The chances that one or both of you will change as time passes are huge. This is why a lot of first love fails, specially the very close/strong ones.

But not all first love fails. A lot of high school puppy love fails.

• I agree with ur points about growing up and changing as time passes. But I'm not sure what you mean exactly by puppy love.. we have been dating for over a year, and emotionally we share absolutely everything

• Puppy love is used here in the context of young love. Love between two persons who still really haven't gone out into the world and tried to reach their dreams. Unless of course all you want is to stay with your high school hero and get married, and have kids and never get a chance to really travel the world and reach your full potential. Although of course there have been couples who are the exception to this.

Even that usually involves a break up and a reunification later on as they mature.

• Don't think about breaking up ever. Look deep into your relationship and your love for each other. If you two madly love each other and have a strong commitment then you two are meant to be. Distance can bring a couple closer, just always have faith and God will see you through a happy, loving relationship with your boyfriend. Think positively instead of always fearing the worst.

What Girls Said 2

• Well I don't have any success stories about my love life but most first loves don't last because you are new at it and you change a lot after high school and sometimes not for the best of the relationships however maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who finds a great first love that does work. My brother did marry his high school sweetheart though and they are still going strong an expecting their first baby in December. So there is a success story for you. My sister married her high school sweetheart too but their relationship is slowly declining most likely due to the fact that their life is stressful cause they have 2 kids and one is mentally slow and crippled, but they lasted for 16 years and they are still trying to make it work between kids and jobs and medical bills things got hard.

• You don't know what will happen tomorrow so don't be afraid of it.

I began to date my boyfriend in high school, we both were 17 and it was our first serious relationship. At first I thought that we'll break up when we had to go to university, but then it came out that we were going to the same city so we ended up living together. It's been almost 4 years now, and we have a very serious relationship: we've decided what to do about future, work, kids and so.

What I'm trying to tell you is that you must enjoy what you have and don't be afraid of future, even couples that have been married for years break up, so just relax and build a strong tie between you and him, and enjoy every little moment.

Good luck I wish you a great love story¡¡¡

• Wow thank you. Your answer really gave me lots of hope. my main worry is the same as yours were, going to university. So I guess I'm just feeling nervous because its getting closer and closer but I will try to relax and just enjoy it while I still have it. javascript:SlideIt('AddComment86586');

javascript:SlideIt('AddComment86586');