How can you tell if the hole is too deep after you step on a nail?

I just recently stepped on a nail last night.

I didn't feel it go in, I just felt like my foot was hot and in a natural reaction, I started flinging my foot until the nail was out. (the nail had been hammered into a board)

I don't know if it was rusty or not, but at this point, I can't tell if it's infected. I can't walk on it...at all. I can't even put pressure on it. So for now, I just hop.

Any kind of answer would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm up to date with my tetanus shot. I called my doctor, she said I was fine, but that I should definitely get it looked at.

But give me your input before I go.

Most Helpful Guy

• Ouch! I would clean it first with some antiseptic liquid which will sting like crazy and then cover it with a band aid. But if it didn't improve I would get it checked out at the doc.

I stepped on a screw driver once in bare feet and it went through one side of my toe but fortunately it healed up pretty quick.

• I just want to know how deep it is. I have friends that have stepped on nails before and they were able to walk. But with me, it's hard. It hurts. Not unbearable, but really noticeable to the point where I kind of wince. I've cleaned it with peroxide and neosporin. But to be safe, I'm going to the doctors tomorrow.

• Hmm I guess it would be difficult to tell how deep it went just looking at it. Maybe you hit a nerve or something. I'm sure the doc will know what to look for when you go there.

What Guys Said 3

• Its probs infected get to a doctor ASAP unless you want a big hole in your foot rotting away

• Damn those nails, always lying around where they can come into contact with feet. Someone should stand up to these nails.

• I doubt hidden nails will lose a battle with a foot coming in contact with it.

• Yesterday I accidentally stabbed myself

with a screwdriver. Don't ask how, but it

happened, and it hurt.

• Haha. That's funny. Stabbed youself where? But I'm sure it's not as painful as being stabbed in the foot. Right on the arch. Where it's the most sensitive.

What Girls Said 1

• Ok. . .so I would get it checked. 'Cause if you can't walk on it, then it probably infected. Don't try at treat it at home 'cause that might make it worse. So go to the doctors get it checked. If its infected, they may prescribe you Amoxicillin to get rid of any infection ^^

Hoep this helped.

• Definantly getting it checked out tomorrow. I've put peroxide on it once, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. Doesn't help that it's been raining where I live. So it's muddy. But I don't know for sure. So many unanswered questions.